Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 2TB61AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had my OMEN systems for two months and it has been running without any problems.  I decided to add my old desktop hard drive to my new system.   Added it with no problems.  Then I started to get computer lock ups of about 1/2 second.  This happened at random times.  I ran FurMark and other suggested programs to determine if I had hardware issues.  No problems found.  I did notice that sometimes when I got a lockup the main disk drive would start up.  When I removed the second drive, the lockups went away.  It appears that the issue is with the Intel Rapid Storage system/Optane memory.  I have read the Intel documentation and it says to just install the drive.  Nothing has to be done.  If I remember correctly, when I added the old drive, it never showed up in the Rapid Storage system.  I assumed that it only worked with the primary drive. So my question is:

Do I have to do anything special when I add another drive?

When you add a drive should it show up in the Rapid Storage system?

Should the drive be installed in the Side hard drive Slot?

Thank for any help

Steve

FYI

I installed the drive in the top left slot.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Added info: I am current with update as of 6/27/2019

Steve

HP Recommended

@Uudar
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to get the answer to this question, I need a few more details:

• Are you able to boot the system into windows desktop?
  • Have you tried booting system without an extra drive installed?
  • On which drive OS is installed?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake.

The OS is on the C: drive.  Then is no data on the second drive.  I can boot the system normally both with the extra drive and without the extra drive.

The system runs normally with both drives installed, it just has the lockups at random times.

So far I have been running two week without any lockup with just the one drive.  I plan to put the second drive in and see what happens.

HP Recommended

@Uudar
Glad to hear that!
Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The lockup started again once I put the drive in.  I think I will try and put the drive in a different slot and see if that helps

HP Recommended

@Uudar
Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I put the drive in the lower slot and made all of the connections.  Same results.  This time the lockups would blackout the display and stay that way for about 1/2 second, then everything would return to normal.  I did not hear a drive startup.  Thinking that is might be a drive problem, I have run the SeaTools against the drive, all test passed successfully. I have removed the Seagate drive from the lower slot.  I have an old 100G laptop drive I am trying in the upper slots, I expect the same results.  Sometimes it takes a couple of days for the lockup to occur.  At this point I do not know what else to do.  Is it time to get customer support involved?

HP Recommended

Hello, I have not seen any solution from you, how could we fix that problem? It looks like impossible to add one more hard drive on this Intel Optane.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.