Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion p6730f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade the i3-550 processor in my p6730f desktop to an i7-870 - both are old, first gen, but the 870 is quad core....

The motherboard specs indicate the i7-8XX is suppported, yet when I install it, windows does not load, and the speaker beeps a few times and they system shuts down.

I have tried this twice, and each time i re-install the i3-550, windows boots up immediately.

Are there motherboard jumpers I need to set?   I checked my version of BIOS, and an MSI tool indicated I am running the latest BIOS available.  If not, please let me know if you think this is a BIOS issue.

here is my system info:

Model #: p6730f
Product #: BV533AA#ABA
Serial #: [removed per Rules Of Participation]
Software Build #: 11NA1MRW606#SABA#DABA
Service ID #: 120-211
PCBRAND: HP

Bios 6.16 3/18/2011

MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) motherboard

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The problem you are facing is that with the 1st gen quad core i5 and i7 processors, those require a discrete video card be added, as they can't use the onboard Intel graphics.

So, install a supported video card, and you should be fine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The problem you are facing is that with the 1st gen quad core i5 and i7 processors, those require a discrete video card be added, as they can't use the onboard Intel graphics.

So, install a supported video card, and you should be fine.

HP Recommended
Thanks, I tried to install an Nvidia 210 card with the original i3-550, but the card disables the integrated h57 graphics - as such. I can't install the Nvidia driver for win10. Then, when I take out the nvidia 210 card, the nvidia driver won't install because the driver can't verify the 210 card without it installed.

Do you think I can install the i7-870 and the nvidia 210 card (as it it seems the nvidia driver won't install without the nvidia 210 card in the system) I usually think one step at a time is better than a new processor and a new video card at the same time. Maybe win10 has a basic driver thst will allow the card to work? I know it didn't when the i3-550 was installed
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you have the original processor in, and running on the onboard Intel graphics, you first go into the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category, right click on the Intel HD graphics adapter listed there, select Uninstall.  Check the uninstall driver box.

Do not restart the PC as prompted.  Shut it down and install the video card.

Connect your monitor to the video card's out port and turn on the PC.

Now you should be able to install the nvidia graphics driver.

I agree.  I wouldn't do both at the same time.

Once you get the video sorted out with the drivers and whatnot, shut down, unplug the PC and swap out the processor.

Then you should be good to go.

HP Recommended

Yes, that worked. Thank you for your help!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.