Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to help a friend out, he has an HP not sure of the model. He pushes the power button the pwr button lights up and nothing, not even the HP comes up. Has to hit the button 3 -5 times before it gets to the HP screen , then windows starts up.No problem with anything else and it will run all day. I did a scan of the computer and no problems. There are no beeps which I would surmise it would do if there was a problem with the MB.  I was thinking power supply?, but if it were the power button would not light up? If the processor or memory I would also assume it would beep. Any suggestions to try would be appreciated. Again not sure what model, a somewhat older one I think,  maybe 4 Years old. Thanks Bruce

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@brucefl , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

The number he found does not make since to me, but here it is   M9Z89AA#ABA

He said it took him quite a while to start it up this morning, so I am assuming it is before

the HD kicks in. I would also assume if it was the power switch it would not light up. 

I have in the back of my mind a cold solder joint (I hope not). I was going to reset the memory

though I would think it would beep on that problem?

Thanks, appreciate any thoughts. This just started not long ago.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @brucefl.

I believe that you did accurately diagnose the problem.  The symptoms that you describe can definitely be caused by the PSU.  It is 6 years old.  I suggest that you test it to see what happens.  Also, re-seating the memory is a good idea.  Check all of the connections to assure they are tight.  This will assure there is no other problems.

I bought a new PSU and had the same symptoms when I installed it.  It was DOA from the seller.

HP Recommended

I was curious though why they power light on the switch itself would stay on?

HP Recommended

@brucefl

This can happen as long as their is power being provided to the computer.  The light uses a minimal amount of power.  It may not be enough to boot the computer, however.

There are numerous problems caused by the PSU when it is failing.  They don't all appear to be power related, such as, the computer freezing constantly.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Appreciate all the help.

I know it is a 65W power supply,

would you know if it is a ATX power supply

HP's site it does not quite say. I have some around.

The computer is about 10 miles from me rather than go

back I would dig one out to take with me.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @brucefl!

It is an external 65W power adapter.  There is no 24-pin ATX power connector on the motherboard.  Here is the power adapter on HP PartSurfer: https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=M9Z89AA

Please read the "Important Note" to assure that you order the correct component.

HP Recommended

This is a desktop Pavillion 550-A114 ? I probably should of mentioned that even though it is the desktop forum. I may have to take a run down. He looked at the power cord  and said it is a regular power cord and in the back he sees a fan that comes out. I asked if it was the thick 3 pronged cord or similar to a laptop. I will have to look it over some more. All HP specs said it is a 65 watt power supply lol Thanks again. I will see if I can find more information. 

HP Recommended

Sorry to be  so bothersome 🙂 This would be the one. HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-a114 | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.