Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is the the specs website, very handy.

https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/content/specifications/Elite8000_datasheet.PDF 

Nvidia GeForce 310 DP PCIe x16 Graphics Card X X
Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 Graphics Card X X
Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 Graphics Card X X
NVIDIA NVS 300 PCIe x16 512MB Graphics Card X X
NVIDIA NVS 300 PCIe x1 512MB Graphics Card X X
ATI Radeon HD 4550 Graphics Card* X X
ATI Radeon HD 4650 DP (1GB) PCIe x16 Graphics Card

Are the specs in this HP website what can come installed on the computer?

Are they the only compatible upgrades at the time of the making of this computer?

Or are they the only graphics cards the computer can run. period? 

People use this list as if it is the specs of what the computer can handle. I thought that at first as well, but I began to doubt it. It may just be what can come on the computer if one buys a various priced machines. I really don't know enough about computer sales to know it that is even applicable, but it seemed logical.

And: does anyone know what the maximum graphics card is that an HP Compaq Elite 8000 SFF can use? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09XDP98W7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AR16MZ6IS98WL&psc=1 

This is an example of a the type of card I'd like to try for my aging computer. I somehow think  my computer cannot handle it though. For some sad sap such as me that thing looks like a godsend. A 2gb graphics card godsend. But it's probably just another trojan horse... or  amazon horse that is. 

I tried to match as many things as I could, low profile, ddr3, 64 bit, it only uses 18 W. It has a vga port which means it's older usually, and that is a good sign for my aging computer. I won't actually use vga port I'll get an adapter or use hdmi. The card cannot go into an SFF and have the full size bracket the vga  port is in.

These are some other options I looked at. Some don't have the watts listed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09J4FZMWD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3HX17VBCOE9FV&psc=1 

https://www.amazon.com/SAPLOS-GT-730-Graphics-Computer/dp/B09GKKTM6L/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=saplos%2Blo... 

https://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-EAH6450-SILENT-1GD3-LP/dp/B004X8EO6Q/ref=sr_1_30?crid=2CVZ1BEEZHD... 

My computer is 1333 mhz, and 240 W. It has 4gb ddr3 ram but I'm going to upgrade it to 8gb around the same time as installing a graphics card, and then maybe to 16gb, the max for this model. I don't yet know if the 1gb or 2gb graphics card has counts in that 16gb max or not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have the latest BIOS installed, the GT 730 should work, as well as the R5 card you posted.

I tried a GT 730 out in my HP 8000 Elite CMT and it worked fine.

I also tested out a nVidia GT 1030 in it and that also worked fine.

Both cards would work with the 240W power supply your PC has.

The GT 730 has a 38W power draw and the GT 1030 has a 30W power draw.

I am currently running an AMD Radeon HD 6450 in it because I put the other two cards in newer HP and Dell business desktop PC's.

The HD 6450's are dirt cheap on eBay in used but tested and working condition, and draw less power than the other two I listed.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have the latest BIOS installed, the GT 730 should work, as well as the R5 card you posted.

I tried a GT 730 out in my HP 8000 Elite CMT and it worked fine.

I also tested out a nVidia GT 1030 in it and that also worked fine.

Both cards would work with the 240W power supply your PC has.

The GT 730 has a 38W power draw and the GT 1030 has a 30W power draw.

I am currently running an AMD Radeon HD 6450 in it because I put the other two cards in newer HP and Dell business desktop PC's.

The HD 6450's are dirt cheap on eBay in used but tested and working condition, and draw less power than the other two I listed.

HP Recommended

Thanks!

I don't know enough about computers to know if I have the latest BIOS. The computer was a gift from a few years back, and Windows 10 was installed on it for me.

But I'm going to 'go for it' with one of those cards :).

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The latest BIOS update for your PC is this one...

ROM Firmware for HP Compaq 8000 Elite (786G7)

v01.14

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73501-74000/sp73578.exe 

If you have an older version, here is how you can safely update the BIOS to 1.14.

Download and run the file.  An info page will open.

Read the instructions under the F10 setup BIOS flash method.

F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop system supported by this softpaq provides a BIOS upgrade option through F10 setup using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press F10 to enter setup.  In the File menu, select the "Flash System ROM" item.  This flash utility will present the user with the option to select the media containing the BIOS image file (XXX_MMmm.bin).  The binary image file is contained in the DOS Flash directory and is named XXX_MMmm.bin where "XXX" is the abbreviated BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  F10 ROM based flash can accept the binary file from the root directory of any removable media such as USB or legacy floppy diskette.  The user is prompted when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is rebooted.

View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Here's what you do...

Get a USB flash drive.

Format it with the FAT32 file system.

Click on the View Contents of DOS Flash Folder link at the bottom of the instructions under the F10 Setup BIOS flash section.

Copy the file contents to your USB flash drive.  Just the files not the folder.

Restart the PC.

Press the F10 key to get access to the BIOS.

Select the File tab>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS files on the flash drive.

Follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thanks again. I have been studying up on the BIOS update thing. 

I had another question about HP Compaq Elite 8000 series.

Do you know if they come with the USB Type-C ports?

I am looking into getting an external hard drive, as well as a few flash drives. But I don't know if the machine comes with the USB Type-C that is used to power the thing, I looked into getting a wall socket adapter, they are almost all European sockets. Also I don't know if 'charging' it is the same as 'running' it.

I need a continuous power source to run that external hard drive. In fact I would rather it isn't plugged into the computer at all. Also I know nothing about watts and volts and anything else that isn't compatible or fries things.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The 8000 Elite model series only have USB2 ports.

HP Recommended

And thanks yet again. I guess I'll scrap my external hard drive plans for now, better not to rush things.

My plan was to up the performance of the comp with flash drives and an external hard drive, as well as the ram of course.

I get totally bogged down when the machine is doing it daily 'updates' thing, as seen on Task Manager. I installed new drivers and this did help, but it never resolved the issue. I call this 'harasser tech' because I can wait for it to do it's thing and go down to 1-10% HDD usage but  when I show up and use the mouse it starts through a whole other set of 'updates', and this goes into 90-100 % HDD usage, usually 100% continuous for awhile. Every time I restart the computer it goes into an 'updates' routine. I turned off MS Office 'click to run so' it wouldn't interrupt, but there it still is doing 'updates'. I don't think these are updates anymore, it is some real bad design. Perhaps it is to force people like me to upgrade. So, I do hope upgrading helps. The CPU (Intel Core) is ok, the Memory (RAM) get a bit taxed out but not too bad. I think this is what is crashing the machine when it gets too bad. But it is the Disc (HDD) that is the most taxed out from these updates, and it does greatly effect performance. 

... did I mention Daggerfall is free on Steam? Yeah, that's how I got here. What is Daggerfall you ask? It is an 'antique' Bethesda Software Elder Scrolls video game that is the predecessor to Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Online.

When my computer goes into these 'updates' it  lags out and even crashes my computer. The game has been 'modded' so it is no longer a game from 1996, it now needs 8GB ram, a graphics card, etc. I don't have illusions of being able to play modern video games without a GTX type card, but these older ones are different. Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 is another antique gem of a video game. It wasn't modded but it was the best Star Wars game I ever played. Better than most of the new ones because it was 1st person shooter, with light saber, force powers... real crummy graphics though.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

I have 16 GB of memory in my 8000 Elite and a 2.5" solid state drive.

The thing runs pretty darn good with those upgrades coupled with the $10 used AMD Radeon HD 6450 1 GB graphics card.

It is pretty hard to find the right memory that works in the 8000 Elite model series.

I recommend this 4 GB memory chip.  I installed 4 of these in my 8000 Elite and they work fine.

Patriot Signature 4 GB PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 Desktop Memory PSD34G13332 at Amazon.com

HP Recommended

Thanks. I had just ordered 2 of these, though I don't know if they'll work. They say 'replacement ram for HP Compaq 8000 Elite', but people also sell deeds to the Brooklyn Bridge, as they say.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009897EOE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A30R8NT7Z4OXZC&psc=1

I'm going to put the ram you posted there in my cart as a back-up if those Offtek don't work. I got 2 in case one doesn't work well enough with the different brand that is  installed already. I read a bit about how 4bg ram may be quicker on some things than the 8gb, and I read about the dual ram thing. I would rather have 16 gb ram off of 4 4gb cards than do the dual thing with 2 (for a whole +10% performance rating?)

And I went with this graphics card:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09XDP98W7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AR16MZ6IS98WL&psc=1

HP Recommended

Hopefully the memory you bought will work.

The specs are right, but it has to be low density and those specs are almost never published.

The graphics card should work as long as you have the latest BIOS installed.

Older BIOS', I don't know.

I tested the two cards I mentioned with the latest BIOS installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.