Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 880-068
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed two 8GB modules of RAM (GSKILL kit - DDR4 - 2400), which, according to the Higos motherboard specifications, should be compatible. The strange issue that I am having, is that they are both compatible and not compatible? Let me explain.

After installing, I checked System Information to verify that they were being recognized by the OS, and they were. 

16GB installed/available.

However, I did not notice any increase in responsiveness by my system. 

I left the original 8GB module that came with my PC installed, so my first thought was that this was preventing dual channel mode, slowing down my system. 

So I went into the BIOS utility (UEFI) to verify that they were in dual channel, and this is where it gets weird. 

BIOS reported that 8320MB of RAM was installed and configured to run in dual channel mode. 

I looked around the lack of useful BIOS configuration settings only to realize HP is garbage and does not include any 'advanced' settings, despite their misleading "Advanced Settings" tab. So I can't manually configure anything. 

I removed the original 8GB module, to see if that was causing an issue in detecting the other two modules (I did not match my kit to the factory RAM), and BIOS then showed only 128MB (with two 8GB modules installed) of installed RAM.

POST report also only showed 128MB.

Each module is detected as having only 64MB (I tested each, one at a time) capacity.

What is really confusing is that Windows is detecting the full 24GB (with all 24GB being available) with all three modules installed, and detects 16GB (also being available) with only the matching kit installed. 

I tried updating the BIOS (even though I was certain I had already had the latest update) to no avail.

Memtest shows no issues with any of the 3 modules.

HP could not be reached for comment/solutions. 

Is this just a sh*t BIOS firmware (of which HP will NEVER update to having full availability of configuration settings) that is not capable of properly detecting specific brands of RAM? 

I was contemplating purchasing Crucial modules (Crucial claims the modules matched to my PC are guaranteed to work), but they are priced similarly, and I really do not want to spend another $80 for paperweights if the BIOS is configured to only recognize a specific brand of RAM chosen by some sh*tbag at HP.

Suggestions? Solutions?

(Note to HP - Give me a fully configurable BIOS firmware, k? Thanks.)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

that advance tab only works on DDR4 that have that advanced features XPS( it is NOT misleading you have wrong memory)

if you do not buy stick with XPS SPD chips (and option) then it will not be there nor IS IT NEEDED to run ANY DDR4.

best I can tell XPS , in BIOS is for futures support, I see no DDR4 for this dell with it, to is MOOT.

BIOS is first not windows,  make sure BIOS is happy first ,even reset it if the readings in BIOS IF  are wrong.

rule#1 on all DDR is , use only matched sets. 

rule #2 is buy only Certified DDR,l  that word means they tested it in your PC, (like CORSAIR DOES and KINGSTON)

Rule #3 do not mix DDR stick densities, for sure not mix channel A to B in one bank now that is asking for trouble both.

that means that  generic DDR can fail, not Certified,  and for sure maxing out ram total size. or mixing SKU.

learn to not lay blame so easy,  find out the truth first then lay blame. if at all.

I could put 10 brands if DDR4 in this PC and would fail,  google DDR4 fails  (for sure mixed)

learn to reset bios so it can PnP the chips via the SPD chips,  and not mix up SKU.

the intel / AMD data sheet and its MMC sets the first order of rules here, then BIOS 2nd.

The MMC page at AMD.com datasheet clearly states not to mix SKU.  and you did.

is not GSKILL kit, low ball cheap ram stick maker,?   mixing that with prime grade DDR , wow.

crucial does not JUST claim they ARE certified,  THEY ARE   (but not mixed, read the find print there and at intel/amd on the risk of mixing, the key words there are "Unstable Results") have proof from both CPU makers I DO.

The MMC logic in the CPU can be confused,  do not do that. or BIOS gets confused. (they work as team and both matter)

HP spec, your PC, and is sparse sure.

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-19200 (DRR4-2400)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs ( 32GB not stated but assumed by me)

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

You sure have made a lot of assumptions about the process and procedures to which I have followed purchasing/installing RAM modules, all while providing literally, absolutely no actual solution relating to the actual issue. I'm assuming you are learning impaired, so I will let this go.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.