Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Touchsmart 610-1150x
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know the specs say this system can only support a max of 4 - 4GB sticks of RAM (total of 16GB). On a whim I purchased two 8GB sticks. I replaced the RAM and I'm getting some weird issues.

Works with either of the 8GB sticks but not both.

Not able to add any of the old 2GB or 4GB sticks with the 8GB sticks

Not able to add any of the old 2GB or 4GB sticks by themselves to go back to the old config. 

This is a head scratcher. Any thoughts? 

mkbean

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

My thought is the PC can only take a max of 8 GB like the specs indicated.

Apparently the 8 GB can be placed in one memory slot, which is rather unusual but not unheard of.

When you try to install any more memory, it won't work because it has reached the 8 GB limit.

Windows users can determine the maximum RAM capacity in the Command prompt with the command below.

It gives the final value in kilobytes which can be converted to gigabytes (divide the value by 1048576 to convert KB to GB).

Run the Command prompt app as administrator. 

Then run the following command.  You can copy and paste the line from here.

HP Recommended

I understand the max and it hasn't been reached. It can support 16GB (sorry if I stated that incorrectly). The product spec says it doesn't support the 8GB modules. However I can't even get it to use the old modules without this 8gb module. 

Thanks so much for the reply. 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

OK, now I get it...I didn't realize that motherboard had 4 memory slots.

Usually they only have two.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications WJ1 (Inglewood) | HP® Customer Support

That is a head scratcher as far as the original memory not working.

It is not a head scratcher regarding installing the 8 GB memory chips not working right.

The max was 4 x 4 GB, not 2 x 8 GB.

I'm wondering if you damaged the PC by overloading the slot with an 8 GB memory chip?

There is no procedure for how to clear the CMOS, and that is the only idea I can think of where you can try and fix the problem.

On some PC's, removing the battery will clear the CMOS and reset the BIOS settings to their defaults.

HP Recommended

Removed the CMOS battery and put it back in. Now it doesn't even boot up. I replaced the battery and the same. I'll continue to troubleshoot this problem. I think sometimes it is best to just let things be. 🙂 Hope I can get it to boot up again.

HP Recommended

I hope so too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.