Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Linux

Hi,

I have MS 7613 Inverness Motherboard. I was scrolling through the specification and came across this.

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR3 DIMMs (240-pin) sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit systems
  • Maximum memory only if using 4GB DDR3 DIMM modules

I have DDR3 1600 with me and would like to use it. I have tried seating it but the system doesn’t boot and runs into a restart loop. I guess the motherboard should step down the memory speed to the maximum it can support but this doesn’t seem to be the case. How do I resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest speed the Intel H57 Express can run the memory at is 1066 MHz (PC3-8500).

Normally, memory can only go back one clock speed, and PC6-1600 would have to go back two clock speeds.

Also, PC3-1600 memory can come in two voltages...1.5V and 1.35V.

If the memory module you have is 1.35V it won't work.

Your PC must use 1.5V DDR3 memory.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest speed the Intel H57 Express can run the memory at is 1066 MHz (PC3-8500).

Normally, memory can only go back one clock speed, and PC6-1600 would have to go back two clock speeds.

Also, PC3-1600 memory can come in two voltages...1.5V and 1.35V.

If the memory module you have is 1.35V it won't work.

Your PC must use 1.5V DDR3 memory.

HP Recommended

Actually, I was incorrect.

The  Intel H57 Express can run memory at 1333 MHz, so that wouldn't be the reason the 1600 MHz won't work.

I forgot that it is only the notebook versions (Mobile Intel series 5 chipsets) that can only run the memory at 1066 MHz.

If it is 1.35V, then it won't work, or if it is not a low enough density, it won't work.

I use this memory in desktop PC's with Intel series 4 and series 5 chipsets...

https://www.newegg.com/patriot-4gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820220480?Item=N82E16820220480

HP Recommended

The label on the RAM says DDR3 1600 and also mentions the voltage ratings as 1.35/1.5v 

I am sure that both the RAM slots are working fine. 

The specification for the mobo also says: 

• Maximum memory only if using 4GB DDR3 DIMM modules
    I have a feeling that this could be the culprit.

Below is the item code  of the new RAM module i am using 

DLD8GD3-16 8GB DDR3 1600 16C (PC3-12800) Long-DIMM

Does it have to do anything with the BIOS version? I am sorry if this is a silly question.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Thanks for posting the specs of the memory.

The reason it doesn't work is the maximum memory per slot is 4 GB, and the memory module spec you posted is for an 8 GB memory module.

The motherboard your PC has can only take a max of 8 GB (2 x 4 GB).

The chipset your PC has can handle up to 16 GB of memory, but in order for that to happen, the motherboard needs to have 4 memory slots.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.