Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-xa0011
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello experts,

I recently purchased a HP 27-XA0011.  I've been running some music editing software that is causing latency issues. 

My current RAM according to the model specs is:

• Amount: 8 GB
  • Speed: PC4-19200 MB/s
  • Type: DDR4-2400

According the same manual, my upgrade section states:

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 SODIMM (260-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-19200 (DDR4-2400)
  • Supports 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB DDR4 SODIMMs
  • Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) with 8 GB DIMMs on 64-bit systems

I am a novice at best, so my takeaway is to purchase two separate 8GB RAM Cards.  That's is where my knowledge stops.

I would appreciate any assistance on the correct items I should buy in order to effectively upgrade my computer from 8GB to 16GB RAM.

I see that Crucial has 20 options listed for my computer, but I don't think they all apply.

2400 vs. 2666?

Single ranked vs. double ranked?

Should I buy one 8GB of RAM and use with current RAM card in computer, or buy a 2 pack of 8GB and replace the model card?

Interestingly, when I run HP Support Assistant it says I have an 8GB Samsung 2666mhz currently in memory slot 1 which I am confused on as the model specs say the RAM should be DDR-2400, unless I am misinterpreting something

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @KMH2020!  Thank you for the additional information.

You are definitely on the right track!  The problem with computer components is, the manufacturers change them so quickly it is difficult to keep up.  I have no doubt that you know more about memory than 85% of the average users.  You know the old adage: Knowledge is Power! 😉  You will find that computers are not as difficult to understand as you would think.  There are about 5 major components: motherboard, processor, memory, PSU and hard drive (HDD/SSD).  Once you know how they work together it gets much easier.

Good luck!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KMH2020 , welcome to the forum.

I don't believe that you give yourself enough credit for what you know about computers.  You asked very good questions.

It is not a good idea to mix memory from different manufacturers.  They don't always play nice together.  You can run CPU-Z to find the manufacturer and timings of your current memory:  https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

You will find this information in the Tab titled "SPD".  Once you have this information you can check to see if you can match it exactly.  This is important since the motherboard supports Dual channel memory architecture.  This means that they should match exactly or you won't get the performance that this option offers.  It is rare that HP's specifications don't match what is installed in the computer.  However, they use the same motherboards in many different models with varying components.  So, this can happen.  If the current memory is Samsung 2666 MHZ it would be good if you could match it.  I am not certain that this will be possible.  Then, you would have to remove it and replace it with 2x8 GB of whatever memory you choose to buy.

Crucial makes very good memory for OEM computers like HP's.  It does appear that they list memory that won't be compatible with your motherboard; especially the kits for 32 GB: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaCrucial makes very good memory for OEM computers like HP's. q/pavilion-27-xa0011-all-in-one

I suggest that you contact Crucial's Tech Support for help with choosing the best memory for your system.  They have always been very helpful when I have contacted them.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Sir, @old_geekster

Thank you for the informative reply!

I ran the CPU-Z as you recommended.  It does show a Samsung DDR4-2666 currently in the occupied memory slot.  CPU-Z also identified the RAM as single rank (not double rank) so that helps me on that issue.

I did reach out to both HP support Chat and Crucial Chat before I posted my message here.  The individuals I spoke to perhaps were having a bad day 🙂  You've been the most helpful

Given that I have researched and learned more about RAM in the past 3 days that I ever though I would have in a lifetime, this is what I am leaning towards:

Despite the Samsung DDR4-2666 currently being in the occupied memory slot, I will probably stay true to the model specs and purchase a two pack of Crucial 8GB single rank DDR4-2400, and install both while replacing the original in order to reduce compatibility issue between the two.

Am I on the right track here?

Much appreciated

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @KMH2020!  Thank you for the additional information.

You are definitely on the right track!  The problem with computer components is, the manufacturers change them so quickly it is difficult to keep up.  I have no doubt that you know more about memory than 85% of the average users.  You know the old adage: Knowledge is Power! 😉  You will find that computers are not as difficult to understand as you would think.  There are about 5 major components: motherboard, processor, memory, PSU and hard drive (HDD/SSD).  Once you know how they work together it gets much easier.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.