Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am installing an Nvidia RTX 2060. I

its a two cpu machine V2 motherboard. I’ll only be using one video card. Does it matter which video slot I use? What is the difference between the black one and the two white ones? 
should I use a dual 6 pin to single 8 pin which is what the card has. 

thanks. 

Jarv
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Please use the link below to download the HP Z820 Maintenance and Service Guide from the manuals section;

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-z820-workstation/5225041

Page 90 shows the correct installation order for GPU's and other PCI cards (for the Z820).

You can use a single 6-pin to 8-pin adapter for the RTX 2060 card and it will work just fine. Alternatively, since you're only installing 1 GPU, you could opt for a dual 6-pin to single 8-pin adapter. Either method will work.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for steering me to the load order matrix. I should have mentioned I have never understood the electrical and mechanical lanes aspect of slots. I see the listed difference of the 2nd slot being 8 electrical vs 16? 
Right now I have the card in the first white slot. It is working fine. When I first powered it up the fans went to full blast and only stopped when I forced the computer off holding the power button down. It then restarted and is fine. I had guessed that the motherboard saw this as a power overload and that the wattage needed wasn’t available!

craig

Jarv
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.