Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hpz420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello and thank you. 

I am looking to upgrade my Ram and looking for options. 

My PC is a HPZ420 

Current configuration. 12gb uddr3 1600mhz 

Bios is J61 v02.08 date is 12/28/2011

Intel Xeon E5 1620@3.6ghz

I'm wondering if I can safely run 1866hz ddr3 ecc registered up to 128gb? Is sdram compatible? 

This is what I'm considering buying, but not sure about compatibility.  Any input is welcome.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@F31Justin 

It can have up to 8 slots of RAM and supporting 8 x 8GB = 64GB max. You are saying your machine has 12GB, can you see which slots/banks it is using now ? Sounds like it has 4+4 and 2+2. You can replace 2+2 with 8+8 then you have 24GB which is double the existing RAM.

You can use many combinations to get to 64GB

>>>> I'm wondering if I can safely run 1866hz ddr3 ecc registered up to 128gb?

No, 64GB max, and it only runs DDR3 RAM up to 1600MHz.  Please use manuals on the following link to work on your machine specially a guide called Maintenance and Service Guide:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/product/hp-z420-workstation/5225033/manuals

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. It has 6x2gb ddr3 ecc currently. I was reading on some other forums that people had achieved 128gb of ram at 1866hz on their hpz420's. Am I limited to 64 gb because of my bios or motherboard/ processor? A lot of people say these workstations can be upgraded past the factory recommended  specs. 

HP Recommended

@F31Justin wrote:

A lot of people say these workstations can be upgraded past the factory recommended  specs. 

@F31Justin 

I sometimes also say that but not for workstation class machines. In many cases, HP use different RAM specs.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.