Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is apparently a common problem without a common solution. The problem is my USB ports randomly disconnect and then reconnect. Usually this isn't a problem but recently I had a problem with my iphone and now I have to restore a backup and I can't keep my iphone connected via USB long enough to complete the restore. 

I have tried just about every suggestion out there. I am stuck at this point. Any fresh (and working) suggestions would be appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

This is a tough one to solve. Intermittent problems are the worst.

Please provide a complete HP product number. Elite HPE does not help me.

HPE systems are older PCs.

HP may not be providing W10 driver support for your PC.

This means Microsoft must provide good drivers. 

You may have a hardware driver problem or a hardware problem. Is this happening on all available USB ports? Try to isolate what USB ports are causing this problem. Rear USB, front USB, USB 2.0, or USB 3.0 run on different motherboard USB controllers.

How does Device Manager look?  Any problems?

Run a Check Disk.

Run HP hardware diagnostics.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

It's an HPE-400Y, Windows 10 Home 64-bit  Version: 18362.418, AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, 16GB ram.

Device manager is fine. This is really the only issue I have with the computer, other than it being slow by today's standards.

All of the USB devices have the power management option for being turned off disabled.

HP Recommended

Diagnostics say nothing is wrong. Haven't tried a check disc yet, I will. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Are all USB ports doing this? If no, what ports; front, or top, or rear; USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

HP is not providing W10 drivers for your specific PC.

You have a hardware driver problem or a hardware problem.

I would guess a hardware problem if Device Manager shows no errors.

HP Recommended

Yes, all ports appear to be doing this, but only when my iphone is connected. Which is weird. When my phone isn't connected, I get no weirdness. But if I have my iphone connect (7 plus) and it disconnects in the middle of a restore both of the external drives plugged into the back disconnect and reconnect (and I get file browsers opening for both of them, which is sort of my hint). I have tried the iphone in all 3 front ports and all behave the same. But now that I've said all that I hadn't made the connection that I don't get my other ports resetting randomly when my iphone isn't connected and is in the middle of a restore. If the phone is just connected charging or I'm backing up or copying stuff to it, I don't get this behavior. So now I'm wondering if it is something that the iphone or iphone software/driver/services is doing to my system when it's in a recovery/restore mode. Now that I think of it that is the only time I have seen things like the external drives blinking out and back in. Of course Apple is no help, and Apple Stores even less these days (after 3 hours in one of the stores to deal with my phone being bricked by their latest update I was shocked to find that the only tool the Apple store has for device issues is itunes...which isn't really even an Apple app anymore). Anyways. Thanks for your thoughts. 

HP Recommended

Hi J_B_K,

You're very welcome.

That sounds like an Apple iPhone thing.

I have no idea why this happening.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.