Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0231nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am connecting my USB keyboard and USB mouse to my HP monitor (HP E24u G4 FHD USB-C) and I get random mouse and keyboard freezes (up to 5 a minute). When I'm typing during a freeze, the keyboard keeps typing the last letter I typed for a while. This is very bothersome, actually driving me mad...

The two devices are connect through "old" USB to the monitor, and the monitor is connected through USB C to the front plug of the computer. Now is a good time to mention also that the video is not working through that USB C port, and I have to use a side HDMI. Hence only the keyboard and mouse are used by the USB C.

This occurs with my personnal desktop computer, but not with my work Dell laptop. When I plug the keyboard a mouse directly on the computer through the two "old" USB cables, there is no issue (but I really want to use the USB C cable to switch easily from personal to work computer). For these two reasons, I mainly suspect the front USB C port of my personal computer. I have considered installing an other USB card but there are no PCI port available.

I have seen other people with the same issue, but couldn't find any solution that applies to me.

Thanks a lot for your support,

Antoine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I took a look at the motherboard specs  and see that the USB 3.1 type-C port is Gen 1. That is why video isn't working.

The motherboard has, for USB Type-C, lower bandwidth.   

The rear USB 2.0 Type-A ports  are the slowest ports on your PC.

The front ports 

(1) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C
(2) USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A
(2) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A

That is  likely to be the reason why you you would be experiencing issues  with the keyboard/mouse.

It always help if you provide detail on a device you are connecting that has issues. (Brand and model)

I don't like to assume, but suspect that you are using a wireless or bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo with a dongle connected to a USB port . 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I took a look at the motherboard specs  and see that the USB 3.1 type-C port is Gen 1. That is why video isn't working.

The motherboard has, for USB Type-C, lower bandwidth.   

The rear USB 2.0 Type-A ports  are the slowest ports on your PC.

The front ports 

(1) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C
(2) USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A
(2) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A

That is  likely to be the reason why you you would be experiencing issues  with the keyboard/mouse.

It always help if you provide detail on a device you are connecting that has issues. (Brand and model)

I don't like to assume, but suspect that you are using a wireless or bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo with a dongle connected to a USB port . 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

Thanks for the clarification on the Gen 1 Port. It's a shame for video, but it's acceptable as I can leave the HDMI always plugged in anyway.

Apologies for not being more clear on the devices I use: the keyboard is a very standard USB type A wired keyboard, delivered with the PC, and my mouse is a USB type A wired Logitech (G502 Hero).

Could it be that the bandwidth of the USB 3.1 gen1 type-C port is so low that it causes the freezes ? For only a keyboard and a mouse ? It would be rather disappointing from this rather recent hardware... Or maybe the monitor is sending video even though the computer can't read it through that port ?

Anyway thanks a lot for your help

Edit: I saw this on the specs you provided the link for

Expansion slots:

• One PCIe x16 socket
  • One PCIe x1 socket
  • One M.2 socket 1, key A
  • One M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x2)

Does that mean that I should be able to add a USB card ?

Edit 2 : I opened the computer again and saw the PCIe x1 socket. The PCIe x16 is already busy with the graphic card. I think I need to find a PCIe x1 USB C Gen 2 card now.

Edit 3: I'm thinking of buying this card :

https://www.alternate.fr/DeLOCK/PCI-Express-x1-Card-to-2-x-external-SuperSpeed-USB-(USB-3-2-Gen-1)-U...

I know that it's still Gen1, but I think I can expect better performances from this one, do you agree ?

Again thanks for your help

HP Recommended

If you unplug the display from the USB Gen 1 Type-C port the freezes should stop.

The fastest ports on your PC are the front ones. Pay attention to the logos printed near the ports. 

You can add a USB adapter card to the PCIe x1 slot to gain a few ports. The card  you asked about in your last edit should be fine.  I used Alternate frequently when I lived in the Netherlands. It is a great online store to buy from.

HP Recommended

The issue is that I use my monitor as a docking station. I cannot separate display, mouse & keyboard.

Since you mentioned the bandwidth limitation, I assumed that maybe the display was overflowing the bandwidth, even though it's not processed by the computer in the end since the port is USB Gen 1.

I will try with the PCIe x1 card and see what happens.

Thanks for your help !

HP Recommended

The chipset on the motherboard  with a Ryzen 7 processor would allow more USB Gen 1 Type-A ports. 

Adding an adapter card will help.

HP Recommended

Sorry Erico, I am a bit confused, I'm not looking for more USB Type-A ports, I'm looking for one more performing Type-C port. I will be using my monitor as a USB dock, I bought it to make it simple to switch from my personal desktop to my professional laptop.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

I did not mean to confuse you.

You can add a PCIe x1 USB Type-C adapter card to give yourself more ports as well, but don't expect an upgrade to Type-C Gen 2.

The Front USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 is as good as it will be.

HP Recommended

Thanks Erico, have a nice day 🙂

HP Recommended

You're welcome. 

Have a great evening!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.