Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

May I bump this ancient thread and ask about an M2 NVME form factor SSD plugged into a PCIe X4 card? Any chance of this working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I appreciate all the help but I’m ready to give up.

even with the latest and greatest BIOS I still cannot find a  way to configure the SSD to be the

boot drive. It doesn’t show up under legacy or efi devices in the bios system config and I’m not sure what to do with the UEFI utility.

I suppose it was not a realistic expectation that this would work in a 7 year old system. I suppose a better idea would be to use the SSD in my Envy 750-624 and ditch the Optane/HD combo currently in place.

Thank you for your help!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Most likely yes as it will be recognised as PCIe card, also depends on the PCIe slot speed.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. I'm not entirely sure how to set the bios and whatnot to have this get picked up correctly. I believe the PCIe slots are v2 as opposed to v3 or am I confusing that with SATA. Basically I'm leaning towards doing this in my Envy beause it's at least from this decade. The Elite seems to be good with the USB 3.0 upgrade and a good video card, and RAM maxed out to 16, and 7TB of hard drive space.

HP Recommended

I dont think BIOS changes required for upgrading to SSD unless you want to set the PC to start from the SSD direct in the BIOS, what make is your M2 SSD? you can check with the manufacturer for compatibility, you can also post your question again in case some other have tried the same M2 SSD to get more answers.

HP Recommended

VisionTek Pro it's in the first post. I have emailed their support. I'd still like to know what the last released BIOS is for this PC but am unable to find it on the site. Surely someone must know. Thank you,

Alex

HP Recommended

The latest BIOS for HP 8200E SFF is version 2.29

HP Recommended

Thank you for being so responsive, I really appreciate it.

I am at 2.28. Wondering where I might get my hands on 2.29.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

There is newer version v02.31 Rev A you can download from the following link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-factor-pc/5037931

That is for windows 7 64Bit you can change it to suit your system, they do not have BIOS for Windows 10 or 8 but they have BIOS utility for windows 8 at the following link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-factor-pc/5037931

If you require version 2.29 I do have but I lost the link for it, I do not know how to send it to you it is about 17 Mb in size.

It is better not to upgrade BIOS unless very essential.

HP Recommended

I appreciate all the help but I’m ready to give up.

even with the latest and greatest BIOS I still cannot find a  way to configure the SSD to be the

boot drive. It doesn’t show up under legacy or efi devices in the bios system config and I’m not sure what to do with the UEFI utility.

I suppose it was not a realistic expectation that this would work in a 7 year old system. I suppose a better idea would be to use the SSD in my Envy 750-624 and ditch the Optane/HD combo currently in place.

Thank you for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.