Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP pavilion G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am thinking about installing  and cloning everything from that the old hard drive (including the OS) to a new 500 Gb SSD on my laptop and will not need or want to use the old mechanical hard drive for additional storage.

Can I legally remove that old mechanical hard drive and install it in another computer without violating any Microsoft OS licensing agreement? My guess is that it would  depend on the type of Microsoft OS license that was on that old hard drive, i.e. Retail version or OEM version, right?

The old hard drive is the original one that came with the computer when I bought is from HP.  How can I tell if it is a Retail version or OEM?

I would guess if it came as the original OS when I got the computer new,  it would most likely be OEM, right?

If  it is OEM, does that type of license allow me to use that OS on more than that one computer other than the original computer system it came with?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook came from HP with the Windows operating system installed, it is OEM and cannot be transferred to another PC, nor can the Windows product key on the notebook legally be used on another PC to activate an installation.

Assuming the notebook originally came with W7 Home Premium, I have attached the OEM license for that product below.

On the product key you can tell if the license is OEM if it has HP on it and the description Windows 7 Home Premium OA

HP Recommended

Yes Paul I guess it came with Windows 7.  It now has Windows 10 Home as I upgraded it when it was free to do so. 

So, if I wanted to install the old hard drive in another computer I would need to wipe it clean and purchase a new license right?  If I do this I would go with a Windows 10 Home license and preferably on a USB thumb drive. Any link or suggestions where I could buy it on a thumb drive instead of a download?

HP Recommended

To comply with the Microsoft OEM license agreement yes, that is correct. 

You would have to remove the OS from the drive since it came with W7 OEM, and you upgraded it to W10.

It appears that you have the option to purchase W10 Home on a USB directly from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-10-home/D76QX4BZNWK4/0003?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

If your other PC has W7 or newer on it, you can still get the free upgrade to W10.  Read the info at the link below...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul - very helpful!  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.