Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 500-164
Other

I am having a problem ( my computer was originally Windows 8 updated to 8.1 with a Windows 10 download) with my computer . The fan ( I'm pretty sure ) is running loud every few minutes . I searched and found 2 updates, that were critical BIOS update July / 2014 and Nov/ 2014 and downloaded these updates. I checked for all driver updates and either my system said that the updates were not necessary or they were not ( I think the term was something like ) compatible for my computer. I also did a diagnostic test on the computer and it said everything passed . I believe my fan is not working or nearly dead, the noise is constant. 

Also , not being computer savvy , I had forgotten how long it's been since I did not have to start my computer without pressing F1 to boot. In searching online I found out that it's not normal to have to press F1 to boot. I read the screen and at the bottom it says 511 CPU fan not detected. I found videos on YouTube to show my hubby how to replace the fan. Now, seeing all of this I'm wondering with the computer being 7 years old, if it's even worth replacing. Also I found stickers on it saying that twice over the years we had it into the Geek Squad to repair but it's been so long they have no record of us being there! 

HELP? 

Jesus take the wheel !
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's worth the repair (IMO). Not unusual for the lubrication in the fan to dry up after a few years. It starts out noisy, then slow, then seizes up.

You'll be able to find another compatible one on ebay. Or take the one you have to a local computer shop and they'll be able to sell you another one pretty cheap.

You'll also need a tube of thermal paste. (If the NEW heatsink DOES NOT have any on it already)

After you remove the old heatsink / fan (Torx 15 or flat head screwdriver required) clean off the old crusty grey thermal paste.

Once the CPU is clean, install the new fan/heatsink.

Then you're good to go! No more noise and no more F1.

As per what @Lil_Boy_Blue said, If you're losing time & date every time you turn it on, then you'll need to replace the CMOS battery (Cheap CR2032 coin battery)
If your were ONLY getting the 511 FAN ERROR, then the new heatsink/fan will fix that and you WON'T need to replace the CMOS battery.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-pavilion-500-100-desktop-pc-series/5395585/model/5399025/man...

"I had forgotten how long it's been since I did not have to start my computer without pressing F1 to boot. "

This is usually the CMOS/RTC battery.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-pavilion-500-100-desktop-pc-series/5395585/document/c0375757...

Probably a coupla american dollars to fix.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=rtc+battery+for+hp&ref=nb_sb_noss_

HP Recommended

It's worth the repair (IMO). Not unusual for the lubrication in the fan to dry up after a few years. It starts out noisy, then slow, then seizes up.

You'll be able to find another compatible one on ebay. Or take the one you have to a local computer shop and they'll be able to sell you another one pretty cheap.

You'll also need a tube of thermal paste. (If the NEW heatsink DOES NOT have any on it already)

After you remove the old heatsink / fan (Torx 15 or flat head screwdriver required) clean off the old crusty grey thermal paste.

Once the CPU is clean, install the new fan/heatsink.

Then you're good to go! No more noise and no more F1.

As per what @Lil_Boy_Blue said, If you're losing time & date every time you turn it on, then you'll need to replace the CMOS battery (Cheap CR2032 coin battery)
If your were ONLY getting the 511 FAN ERROR, then the new heatsink/fan will fix that and you WON'T need to replace the CMOS battery.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response I'm not having any problem with time and date, do I still need to replace the battery?

Jesus take the wheel !
HP Recommended

Sorry I did not see what you said about not having to replace the battery, thank you for your input!

Jesus take the wheel !
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. Hibb1 said that if I'm not having a problem with time and date, it's not necessary to replace the battery, in your opinion is this true?

Jesus take the wheel !
HP Recommended

If the battery were flat, then you would lose time & date every time you switched it on. That's what the battery does - Hold time & date and other BIOS settings when there's no power going to the unit.

I think @Lil_Boy_Blue mistook your 'F1 every time' for a flat battery rather than a fan error every time.

But hey, for the sake of a $1 battery, there's no harm in replacing it anyway 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!

Jesus take the wheel !
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.