Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower #NV507U#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After moving my Desktop from one apartment to the next and setting up, I found that the only thing that did not work was the display on the monitor.  I tried 3 different monitors, 4 different VGA cables, tried different power cables and wall sockets.  No display with any of it.  Display was working fine just before unplugging and moving.

It was suggested that I try to replace the video card.

I have been trying to find out information on my Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower PC using a cellphone.  I am very unfamiliar with using a cellphone to get information on the internet.  I finally gave up after trying MANY times and screwing up something each time!  I tried to write to the community a few times and don't think I succeeded.  I know that I just lost all my typed info one time and wanted to scream. I will never try to use a cellphone again!  I am too old to mess with such tiny font and tiny typing areas!

I watched videos about replacing the video card in Compaq 6000 PC's but none looked like mine on the inside and none of the video cards looked even similar to mine. They all said something about needing to unscrew things (Mine wasn't screwed into anything) there was only one clip at the bottom of it that was holding it in.  Nothing was hanging loose anywhere.  I took the Video card out, but I still don't know the name of it and I wanted to take it to an PC electronics store, thinking it would be safest just to buy the same thing and planned to take it with me.  I suspect that the sales personnel these days don't know the names of video graphics cards just by looking at them outside of the box and I don't want to make a wasted trip since I will be taking a taxi.

I looked up the hardware on my PC and under video it named 5 different graphics cards, all PCIe related, but different.

So not sure the name or what to ask for or if all of them will work in my PC since the manufacture date was 2014.

Sorry for being so wordy and absolutely clueless.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Taylor

Also, I'm not sure if the newer email address is under my name here.  It is a mailfence.com email server.

Open mind Pure intent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

As long as your monitor has a DVI or display port input, this model card should work just fine for your needs...it's Dell-branded but works fine in HP PC's.

I have one in my HP 8000 Elite CMT (upscale model of the 6000 Pro).  It's cheap and it works great.

Dell AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB PCI-E Video Card 0K6HDT K6HDT | eBay

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the graphics card removal and replacement procedure.

c01870856 (hp.com)

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi:

As long as your monitor has a DVI or display port input, this model card should work just fine for your needs...it's Dell-branded but works fine in HP PC's.

I have one in my HP 8000 Elite CMT (upscale model of the 6000 Pro).  It's cheap and it works great.

Dell AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB PCI-E Video Card 0K6HDT K6HDT | eBay

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the graphics card removal and replacement procedure.

c01870856 (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Excellent!!  I am so happy I could cry!  I haven't been this challenged in a very long while.

And now, to get an answer so quickly!  I feel so unworthy. 

Thank you. 

I hope the card fits.  The one I pulled out is very thin compared to the ones that I saw in the youtube videos.

I am going to do this on blind faith alone!  I just know that your information is right for me. After all the torture of the past week trying to get information on that **bleep** cell phone, I think it was time that something came easy for once. 

I AM SO GRATEFUL TO YOU!!

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It should fit just fine.

HP Recommended

One more thing.... the DVI port, is that the wider one with several holes in it compared to the small VGA port?  I think I have a cord for that.  I don't remember ever using the DVI port before and I have had several models of Desktop PC's, well 4 that I have set up myself.  Never knew what things were called necessarily, just looked for where things would line up..  Common sense usually worked for me except when someone throws a new term into the mix.

So, when I insert the Dell card into the same slot as the card I removed, the PC will just know where to find it when I plug the cables into the DVI ports on PC and Monitor?

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Yes, the DVI port is rectangular shaped, and has a lot of holes.  It is usually color coded white instead of blue, like the VGA port is.

Now that you removed the video card, did you try a monitor with the on board VGA port for now, so you can at least use the PC?

HP Recommended

Not sure what you mean?  Are you saying I can get a display on my monitor without the graphics card?  That I can plug in the VGA cable and use the monitor without the card in place?  I have my PC on its side right now, waiting for me to clean it out with the compressed air canister I bought.

If the above is true, I will put it back together and try the VGA port again.  I know that all three monitors worked just a few days ago.

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Yes, a graphics card was an option on the 6000 Pro.

They come standard with the onboard Intel graphics and there should be a display port output and VGA output in the back of the PC near where you plug in the keyboard and mouse.

See the blue VGA port on the right, just under where you plug in the keyboard wire?

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1611694849811.jpeg

HP Recommended

Yes, I use the VGA port all the time.  Is that the "display port" just to the left of it in the picture?

I discovered that I have a DVI port on the monitor but no matching DVI port on the Computer. 

Is the display port also used in the same way that the VGA port is used?  If so, would I be able to buy a display port c able, say on eBay?  I already purchased that graphics card you sent the link to.  You were right, it was very cheap.

I just tested my VGA Port on monitor and PC and NOW my monitor comes on normally.  I'll be putting my computer back together with all the accessories in a minute.  Looks like I went through a week of hell for nothing.  Thank you for the education today! 

If I don't actually "need" the graphics card, what is it good for?  Does it enhance the viewing experience?  Does it improve clarity or something?  Should I even bother to use the Dell Graphics Card from eBay when it arrives?

Sorry to bug you with all these niggling little questions.  Don't feel compelled to answer all.  Only if you have the time and inclination. 

You are the best for putting up with me thus far.  You deserve a medal!!

I wonder why my so called computer expert friends never bothered to mention that the graphics card was optional?

If I don't hear back from you again, I just want to thank you for EVERYTHING!

Taylor

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Hi, Taylor:

The Display port is right below the blue VGA port and has that strange looking icon next to it.

Display port to DVI will give you High Definition (HD) video output instead of the lower quality analog video output that VGA provides.

You can buy a display port to DVI cable on Amazon...

Amazon.com: DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, Dp Display Port to DVI Converter Male to Male Gold-Plated Co...

It will work with the Dell card you bought, or your current setup.

That particular Dell graphics card will provide slightly better graphics performance and quality because it has more memory than the onboard Intel graphics, and the graphics chip is a bit newer than the onboard Intel graphics chip.

So no, you don't actually need it since your PC is back up and running again, but it should only take you a few minutes to install it when you get the chance.

If you never decide to use it, then a $13 loss is no big deal.

You're very welcome, and I was glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.