Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 34-B100NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've read all the posts about reversing the Fn key so I can use the function keys directly (and even implemented on my laptop), but the BIOS for the 34-B100NA doesn't offer the option. 

Is there any other way, or should I bin the keyboard and use another?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bananaman61,

I am sending you a private message suggesting next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Bananaman61,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Please follow the below steps to access the function keys directly.

1. Press and hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly to open the BIOS Setup Utility.

3. Press the right or left arrow key to select the System Configuration menu.

4. Press the up or down arrow key to select Action Keys Mode.

5. Press the Enter key to display the Enabled / Disabled menu.

BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected

6. Press the up or down arrow key to select one of the options.

• Enabled: Does not require pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.

For example, pressing f8 lowers the sound as printed on the key. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f8 minimizes and maximizes a web browser.

• Disabled: Requires pressing fn to use the actions printed on the function keys.

For example, pressing f1 opens a help window. Alternately, pressing both the fn + f1 keys puts the computer to sleep as printed on the key.

7. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for you reply.  However, this was my point. The BIOS on the 34-b100na is NOT the one shown, and does not have either the apppearance nor the options that you show.

The BIOS on my machione is AMI 2.20.1271 (2018), and the setup utility is markedly different from the one you show (which is what I had on my Laptop, when I made this change there).

HP Recommended

@Bananaman61,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I did some research and see that the option to reverse the FN function key is not available on your computer.

However, I recommend you check on the keyboard whether you find any key which has an FN lock function. Please refer to the below images.

Image result for how to reverse function keys from operating system

Image result for how to reverse function keys in hp from operating system

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this does NOT work, there is no 'lock' key that I have found, and therefore, while I value your effort your efforts on my behalf, I cannot possibly mark this as a 'Solution'.

I find it strange and disappointing that HP provide NO facility to turn off this ridiculous 'feature' on one of their flagship devices.  Does product marketing not look at the vast number of requests for solutions to this very issue?  As a software developer, most editors use F1-F12 keys for short-cuts, and it is ludicrous that I am forced to hold down the 'fn' key to access them. 

I am now forced to discard the quite nice keyboard supplied with the my very expensive computer, and use a Logitech one. The function keys are indeed restored properly, but something (probably the BIOS) is still disabling Ctrl-Fn keystrokes.

Would it be reasonable to hope that HP address this some time in the future?

VERY VERY POOR, HP. 

HP Recommended

@Bananaman61,

I am sending you a private message suggesting next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Dear The_Fossette

Could please send me the suggestion, that you sent to Bananaman regarding the FN key on a HP Envy PC?

I don't have the BIOS option or a FN lock hey. 

Regards,

Pedro-PBLCT

HP Recommended

The private message was to advise me that my problem had been escalated to my local UK/Euro support who turned out to be 100% useless, required the problem to be reopened from scratch (despite The Fossette having documented it all when sending it to them, saying ‘we don’t do things this way in Europe’) and offered no solution. HP have REALLY messed up with this. 

So - on an otherwise amazing machine, I have to live with this pathetic setup - AND no Ctrl-F-key facility AT ALL. 

DREADFUL. I am unlikely EVER to consider contacting HP Support again. It’s simply a waste of my time. And it will also have a major impact on buying any more HP equipment, despite already having laptops, desktop and printers from HP. 

HP Recommended

Ok, thank you for your reply...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.