Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 510-p127c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My pavillion has a "Willow" motherboard, which is a socket AM4 board and it came with an AMD A12 9800 processor and a low-end graphics card.  I'd like to swap out the original processor with a new Ryzen 5 1600 (65w). The HP site lists only the older AMD APUs (A12, A10, etc) as compatible.

Here is my question: will the board support the new Ryzen processeor. If not, will the BIOS be updated to support the newer line of processors?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I also have this question and have posted it on another site without receiving an answer.  My suspicion is that it WILL work, but who wants to take the chance and be out the cash for trying it?  I hope someone on here can say one way or the other!

HP Recommended

Hi

HP has no official presence in this forum.

The best way to get answers to your questions would be to contact HP Support .

I can tell you that Ryzen is not listed as an HP approved upgrade option for your PC's motherboard. So you would be trying this upgrade at your own risk.

This HP Support site has the latest BIOS update for your MB (SSID 822A), dated 4-18-2017. There is no reference in the "Fixes" section on adding support for additional processors.

Maybe another forum member has successfully completed this upgrade and can confirm.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hello i think its possible.

At first i was asking people over formus - at reddit, toms hardware, here and even at more forums.

Then this was first time that somebody actually told me something useful: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/bios-update/m-p/6100531

Then i sad like okay i will wait. But nothing came, so i started to search even more. Then a found a twitter post from offical amd site where one guy was asking whether the motherboard will support ryzen upgrade and amd told him that ryzens are compatible with all am4 motherboard no matter the bios version.  - I cannot it find right now, but i will search for that twitter post and once i find it i will post it here

This willov board (i have it too in a different pavilion) has am4 socket with b350 chipset which is fully compatible with ryzen 5 1600 (65w). But i havent upgraded to ryzen yet, but im going to and if its not going to work im going to buy new motherboard aswell. So just please if you could and save my time xd buy that ryzen cpu and try if it works, cuz if it doesnt you can just sell that cpu on internet or just get it back to the shop and they will give you back your money.

Hope i helped you, please contact me if you will try the ryzen swap. 

HP Recommended

I actually did buy a Ryzen 5 1600 and was thinking about trying it out, but I got cold feet. I will probably return it if I can't get confirmation from someone that it will work.

HP Recommended

Hi letsthrowq

The AMD response (Twitter post) that all all AM4 motherboards will support Ryzen is true. The processor will install in the socket correctly.

But the motherboard OEM, or in this case HP, has to update the microcode to recognize the processor.

I see this all the time when using Asus, Gigabyte, or Asrock motherboards. BIOS code is updated to support new processor SKU's on the same CPU socket during the life of the motherboard.

I support many Z170 and H170 boards manufactured before Kaby Lake hit the streets where the OEM updated BIOS code to support 7th gen processors when they were released by Intel.

The upgrade may work. But HP is not officially supporting this upgrade.

Tom

HP Recommended
Could you please try it, in case IT doesnt work your Can still return that ryzen or sell IT and you Can still than swap back the a12 9800.
PLEASE could you try IT ??
HP Recommended

I was hoping that someone had tried the Ryzen chip in the willow board by now...have you?

HP Recommended

did it work?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.