Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook

A black screen pops up after trying to boot up my lap stop and it states “SMART Hard Disk Error” “Hard Disk 1 (301)”, i ran the hard drive diagnostics and it and it comes up as “failed” followed by a 24 letter code, then the description says “Hard Drive 1 - primary HDD Bay” can someone please help me!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sadly you have a bad disk containing the boot loader and the operating system.

You have to replace this disk.

Do you back up data to external media or use disk imaging and cloning software ? You may lose data and have to reinstall the operating system if the answer is no to both questions.

You could connect the bad disk to a different PC as a data drive to see if data recovery is an option. 

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sadly you have a bad disk containing the boot loader and the operating system.

You have to replace this disk.

Do you back up data to external media or use disk imaging and cloning software ? You may lose data and have to reinstall the operating system if the answer is no to both questions.

You could connect the bad disk to a different PC as a data drive to see if data recovery is an option. 

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.