Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 810-150ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The specs for the hp envy phoenix 810-150ea states the case has three 3.5inch drive bays two of which are occupied by a 128GB drive and a larger 2TB drive. Looking at my device manager, I got this for a drive name Samsung MZ7PD128HAFV-000H7 which appears to be the 128GB drive which by searching I find that this a 2.5inch samsung evo. Since this a 2.5inch drive and my drive bays are 3.5inch I'm wondering how that is installed - would it be on a bracket or do these drive bays also fit a 2.5 drive without one?

I ask because I plan on getting a 1TB samsung evo 860 this christmas and installing it in addition to the 128GB drive and would like to know if a bracket will be needed or if will go straight into the 3.5inch drive bay with screws? I Dont want to waste money on a bracket if the 3.5inch bays in the case will facilitate a 2.5ich drive on their own

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello
I advise you to check directly ..
So far for me, most SSDs are in 2.5 format, so you need an adapter, to place it in a 3.5 compartment
Only, I look at the characteristics and there it is written:

• Size: 128 GB
  • Interface: SATA
  • Type: Solid State
  • Width: 3.5 in (8.89 cm)

13.33 cm (5.25 inch) ODD
8.89 cm (3.5 inch) HDD

I find it strange, is this a particular format, in place, where does it include the adapter !!
You say you want to keep the 128 GB, but if you install another SSd, for the programs and the operation of Windows, it would be better to do it on the larger one, the 128 GB, is no longer too useful
You can of course keep windows only on the small one, and force install on the larger one, but this does not suit all programs.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

The 1st drive appears to be the 128GB solid state and if you search the name it brings up the samsung evo 860 2.5inch. That being a 2.5inch drive in a 3.5inch drive bay I wondered if the drive bays somehow fitted a 2.5inch drive as well without the need for a bracket

HP Recommended

Well that seems more logical to me, in this case, there must be an adapter, since the indicated locations are in 3.5!
That said, if you want to keep the two SSDs, you will certainly need an additional one for the second!
Either way, open the computer, it will take you two minutes to check
I have a tower that looks like this, no original SSD, and the slots are 3.5, but that does not confirm your case I think

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h9-Phoenix-Desktop-PC-series/5258492/model/5297...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

If I kept the original 128GB drive for windows and the 1TB drive for games Would I notice any difference in speed than if they were on the same drive as the operating system? Also I was wondering what's the best graphics card upgrade I could get without upgrading the psu - would it handle any of the RTX 2000 series?

HP Recommended

You can try, it depends on the programs
I had to do the same, but with a classic SAta hard drive.
There we can feel the difference sometimes, it can be less with an SSD
Either way you can still do it if it's not right then

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

You wouldn't happen to know what size screws I will need to mount the drive would you? Or will they come with the mount bracket. I didn't get any with my case

HP Recommended

I wouldn't want to tell you anything stupid.
I bought an SSD to place it in this computer, and there were screws in the box .
Only, I hadn't thought of buying the 2.5 adapter, and I haven't taken the time to do so yet.
I just placed it like this while waiting!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.