Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P560
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having installed and extra 16 Gb ran abd my new 500 GB SSD, formatting it and cloning the operating system to it, I cannot get the computer to boot from the SSD.

The SSD does not show up as a separate disk from the hard drive in the BIOS, although disk management has now assigned it now as disk 0 and the hard drive as disk 1. Does that show the boot order? And, in fact, is it booting from the SSD. Is there any method to check?

If so I am truly disappointed, it now takes even longer to boot than it did from the HDD! This being my original reason for installing the SSD

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Disk 0 is usually the boot disk.

Temporarily disconnect your mechanical hard drive, and see if it boots up from the SSD.

That way you can confirm which one is which.

Your PC should be booting up in less than 20 seconds with a SATA SSD.

All of mine do.

HP Recommended

Ah, that could be the problem. It is not connected as SATA but in the SSD slot on the motherboard. Or does that still count as SATA?

HP Recommended

Hi:

OK, so you installed a M.2 SSD...NVMe or SATA, the PC will always want to boot from the hard drive listed as disk 0,  if there is an operating system it.

So, temporarily disconnect the HDD and see if the PC boots up from the M.2 SSD and it should be blazing fast.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.