Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
24-e001nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, i'm trying to substitute old hdd with a new Samsung EVO860 ssd on a 24-e001nl with no luck: motherboard is not detecting it. Also it freezes on startup and i cannot access bios.

Ssd is working fine on my custom desktop, i tried to clone the old hdd to this ssd but still looks like a low level incompatibility.

Is there any hw compatibility list? Is it possible to have an ssd not recognized?

I tried to update to latest bios (ID: 8381, now with F.10)

Anyone could give me any hint?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok this is awkward for me because I now remeber big news about it at the beginning of ssd commercials...

As you guys said, Samsung memory support is very kind and helpful, they wrote to me there is no compatibility list, instead they attach a list of common solutions:

- Disable NCQ (Native Command Queue) in your SATA driver
- If you use the default storahci MS driver add to the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device] "NcqDisabled"=dword:00000001 or "SingleIO"=hex(7):2a,00,00,00,00,00
- You can also switch your SATA controller to IDE mode. Do note however, that the performance will be slower than if you opt to disable NCQ as indicated above.
If the suggestions above are not helpful, it will be advisable to use the SSD with an Intel controller or SATA AHCI controller, which is the default Microsoft controller.
Proceed as follows;
- Device Manager> IDE ATA / ATAPI Controllers> SATA Controller> Right click> Update driver> Scan my computer for drives> select from list> Standard SATA AHCI Controller> Next> OK
- Also, make sure that the chipset is up to date.

Finally, in my case, switching SATA controller to IDE worked.

Thank you very much everyone for the help, hope this will be helpful. Stay safe and well.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Pane19 , welcome to the forum.

I have reviewed the specifications for both the EVO and your HDD and I can't see any reason that the EVO won't work, as long as, the connectors are correct.  The EVO should be backward compatible.  HP doesn't provide component compatibility lists for any of their computers.  I suggest that you contact Samsung's Tech Support to see if they can help you.  They are the experts on their products.  I have used the EVO series SSD's in several of my HP computers with great success.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you Old_geekster, sorry for being rude skipping welcome message.

That is indeed unexpected to get an incompatibility like this.

I also tried with my 4-5 years old 840EVO, tre AIO pc is about 3 years old. Still the same issue.

And for each mechanical hdd i tried, it was detected.

I will also try to contact samsung customer service. Thank you for the hint.

By the way... Is there a direct hp support direct line available?

HP Recommended

You are not being rude, but thank you for acknowledging it!

I would appreciate hearing what the Samsung Tech has to say.  It will help me for the future.

Here is the Customer Support page:  https://support.hp.com/us-en

This is for the US, but you should have one for your country, as well.

@iomare, please help this member with a contact number for HP Customer Support in Italy.  Hope you are safe and well!!  Look forward to seeing you soon!

HP Recommended

@Pane19 @old_geekster 

I just did some interesting research possible 2.5" SSD device for this computer.  😛😞

Crucial, which utilizes Micron SSD devices, has no offering for that computer.

Mr. Memory UK sells Kingston SSD devices, they have posted non-compatibility.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001, thank you for your help.  This is very interesting.  I guess it is up to Samsung to provide an explanation for the incompatibility.

HP Recommended

Thank you everyone, I've sent an email to samsung Italy support and they then forward me to hanaro.eu support.

Fyi, samsung memory related support emails are up to samsungmemory@hanaro.eu (I don't know if is for europe only on worldwide).

As soon as they answer me I'll update you guys.

HP Recommended

Thank you, @Pane19!  We will certainly appreciate hearing what they have to say.

HP Recommended

Ok this is awkward for me because I now remeber big news about it at the beginning of ssd commercials...

As you guys said, Samsung memory support is very kind and helpful, they wrote to me there is no compatibility list, instead they attach a list of common solutions:

- Disable NCQ (Native Command Queue) in your SATA driver
- If you use the default storahci MS driver add to the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device] "NcqDisabled"=dword:00000001 or "SingleIO"=hex(7):2a,00,00,00,00,00
- You can also switch your SATA controller to IDE mode. Do note however, that the performance will be slower than if you opt to disable NCQ as indicated above.
If the suggestions above are not helpful, it will be advisable to use the SSD with an Intel controller or SATA AHCI controller, which is the default Microsoft controller.
Proceed as follows;
- Device Manager> IDE ATA / ATAPI Controllers> SATA Controller> Right click> Update driver> Scan my computer for drives> select from list> Standard SATA AHCI Controller> Next> OK
- Also, make sure that the chipset is up to date.

Finally, in my case, switching SATA controller to IDE worked.

Thank you very much everyone for the help, hope this will be helpful. Stay safe and well.

HP Recommended

@Pane19 

What is the performance, transfer rate ?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.