Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 795-0039c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hoping someone can help... I’m attempting to upgrade the SSD in my HP Envy 795-0039c desktop from the original 128GB M.2 SATA (Model: MZ-NLN128C) to a 500GB NVMe M.2 (Model: WDS500G2X0C). I created an image of the 128GB SSD and saved it on the internal HDD and created a recovery disc. I then removed the 128GB SSD and installed the new 500GB SSD. The recovery disc was then used to write the image to the new 500GB SSD. The new SSD appears in the bios, but the system won’t boot. I get a blue screen with a sad face saying it ran into a problem and needs to reboot (which doesn’t resolve the issue). It also displays ‘Stop Code: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE’

The drive is shown in the Boot Order Configuration under UEFI Boot Sources. I tried disabling Secure Boot, but that didn’t appear to make any difference.

I don’t have much experience with this stuff, so I’m stuck now. Anyone know what might be the issue and how I can resolve it?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have an unusual situation, The HP specs (Link) show the MB has a M.2 socket 3, Key M. Do you have a Intel Optane setup? This can cause a boot problem since the OS is on the platter HDD but the boot files are cached on the smaller M.2 drive.

I think your problem could be caused by the image you are using. HP normally only supports PCIe x4 NVME drives on consumer PCs but you say you have a 128 GB SATA M.2 drive now. Key M can support both SATA and PCIe x4 protocol.

Disconnect the HDD. See if the PC will load Windows from the new M.2 SSD. If no, then install windows 10 clean (Link to Microsoft media creation tool) on the new M.2 SSD with the HDD disconnected. See if Windows will run now. HP could have modified the factory image so the Windows NVME driver is missing. You need this driver to boot to Windows when using NVME storage as the boot device. A clean W10 install will provide this storage controller.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks @Grzwacz for your reply! I don’t believe I have an Intel Optane setup. I tried disconnecting the HDD and booting with just the new SSD installed and got the exact same result. I then reinstalled the original SSD but left the HDD disconnected. I was able to boot into windows without any issue and everything seemed to function properly other than the obvious that the HDD wasn’t present.

“I think your problem could be caused by the image you are using. HP normally only supports PCIe x4 NVME drives on consumer PCs but you say you have a 128 GB SATA M.2 drive now. Key M can support both SATA and PCIe x4 protocol.”

I read this in another post too, but I can definitely confirm the original drive is a 128 GB SATA M.2 drive. It actually surprised me when I went to replace the drive, having already bought the new NVMe drive, because I had looked up the specs on this model on HPs website and it stated a 128 GB NVMe M.2 drive.  The computer was purchased at Costco. I wonder if this change was made to shave off a little cost to provide the price point they were looking to achieve.

That’s a really good suggestion about the NVMe driver potentially not being installed and part of the image. Is there a way for me to see if the driver is installed while I’ve got the computer booted from the old SSD? Could I add the NVMe driver to the current setup, create a new image and then install the new NVMe SSD? 
Would connecting the new NVMe drive using a USB connected enclosure help at all, either by getting a driver installed or to clone the drive?

I was trying to avoid having to do a new windows install and having to reinstall all programs, etc. but I’ll go that route if that’s what’s needed. 

Thanks again for the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.