Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-1020

Hi,

I want to know if my HP TE01-1020 PC with a Baker 8767 motherboard can work with a 4TB PCIe 4.0 SSD drive upgrade. I cloned my 1TB SSD drive but couldn't boot from the new drive.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Tunes2 

I'm assuming that whatever drive you cloned was NVMe and was formatted with the GPT partition table which allows a PC with a UEFI BIOS to boot from a drive with a storage capacity excess of 2 TB.

The 2 TB limit only applies to PC's with or without a UEFI BIOS with a drive formatted with the MBR partition table.

A PC without a UEFI BIOS cannot boot from a drive in excess of 2 TB in storage capacity.

The PCIe Gen 4.0 drive should be backward compatible with your PC's PCIe Gen 3.0 SSD slot, it just won't run at its maximum advertised read/write speeds.

Since I never clone drives due to running into some issues such as you have experienced, I prefer to clean install Windows on a new drive.

So, the only way I know of as to find out if a 4 TB NVMe SSD will work in your PC is to:

1. Clean install Windows on the drive and make sure you install Windows in UEFI mode, so the drive is automatically formatted with the GPT partition table.  You can use the Microsoft media creation tool for W10 or W11 as applicable, to make the installation media with.

To do that, you boot from the EFI USB flash drive and not the legacy one.

2. Your other option would be to use the HP cloud recovery tool to reinstall Windows., the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC on the 4 TB SSD.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.  You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive for this.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

You can download the software from the Microsoft Store.

HP Cloud Recovery Tool - Microsoft Store Apps

If you have to use the utility on another PC, so you will need to enter your notebook's product number in the tool's search window in order to proceed to make the recovery media.

Your PC's product number is:  9EF30AA#ABA

FWIW, the Crucial memory/SSD report for your PC indicates that they sell NVMe SSD's up to 4 TB.

HP - Compaq ENVY TE01-1020 | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The spec page for that model indicates a 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD and a 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD.

The 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD would be the boot drive and the 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD would be a data drive.

Assuming that you are not giving all the facts, is this new 4TB PCIe 4.0 SSD drive a M.2 drive? Or is it a new SATA drive to be used as a data drive.

Most 4TB PCIe 4.0 SSD drives listed that way are M.2 drives, which would indicate the reason it will not boot to the cloned drive.  Drives larger than 2TB cause issues and need to be treated differently that a drive 2TB or smaller.

That is beyond my expertise on this type of hardware, so hopefully some with more knowledge will step.  I am going to link a respected expert on this forum, so perhaps he can assist.  Introducing   @Paul_Tikkanen 

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, @Tunes2 

I'm assuming that whatever drive you cloned was NVMe and was formatted with the GPT partition table which allows a PC with a UEFI BIOS to boot from a drive with a storage capacity excess of 2 TB.

The 2 TB limit only applies to PC's with or without a UEFI BIOS with a drive formatted with the MBR partition table.

A PC without a UEFI BIOS cannot boot from a drive in excess of 2 TB in storage capacity.

The PCIe Gen 4.0 drive should be backward compatible with your PC's PCIe Gen 3.0 SSD slot, it just won't run at its maximum advertised read/write speeds.

Since I never clone drives due to running into some issues such as you have experienced, I prefer to clean install Windows on a new drive.

So, the only way I know of as to find out if a 4 TB NVMe SSD will work in your PC is to:

1. Clean install Windows on the drive and make sure you install Windows in UEFI mode, so the drive is automatically formatted with the GPT partition table.  You can use the Microsoft media creation tool for W10 or W11 as applicable, to make the installation media with.

To do that, you boot from the EFI USB flash drive and not the legacy one.

2. Your other option would be to use the HP cloud recovery tool to reinstall Windows., the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC on the 4 TB SSD.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.  You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive for this.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

You can download the software from the Microsoft Store.

HP Cloud Recovery Tool - Microsoft Store Apps

If you have to use the utility on another PC, so you will need to enter your notebook's product number in the tool's search window in order to proceed to make the recovery media.

Your PC's product number is:  9EF30AA#ABA

FWIW, the Crucial memory/SSD report for your PC indicates that they sell NVMe SSD's up to 4 TB.

HP - Compaq ENVY TE01-1020 | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Thank you much.

Your assumptions were correct and reinstalling Windows from scratch was smooth and is probably the better way to go anyway for a fresh, clean start.

I greatly appreciate the quick response as well as the in-depth explanations and options. 

Happy Holidays,

Ron

HP Recommended

Thank you much for your quick reply and for forwarding me to Paul.

Greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays,

Ron

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Ron.

Happy Holidays to you too!

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.