Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TP34-0001 Best Buy Special
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently tried to add an older WD400 SATA drive and the device will just spins up and down repeatedly.  OS is installed on SSD M2 device, so boot up is normal but without HDD access.

Unsure if this is a defect or are older SATA drives not supported? (too much power?)

I don't see any spec from HP that tells me the additional power available from their supply for add ons.   Current configuration is 8th gen i7-8700 intel processor, 256G M2 SSD, internal SATA DVD R/W drive and 8G RAM only.  PC has 250W supply I believe.  I would think there would be enough power for a SATA HDD drive.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DudleyDoWrong , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.  I can't find any information on the model that you provided.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Product number is 6YR43AA#ABA

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @DudleyDoWrong!

According to the information that I found on the Hard Drive it is a Enhanced IDE drive, not SATA: https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD400-Drive-T105071/dp/B00HS85DF4

This is why it is not working with your computer.

HP Recommended

Actually, there is a SATA version as well.  I know since I plugged in the SATA power and data cables.

HP Recommended

@DudleyDoWrong, I stand corrected! 😉  I did find the SATA version of the drive.  The date on it on ebay was 2005.  It may be that the drive is not compatible with your newer motherboard.  They don't draw enough power to cause a problem for the 180W PSU in your computer.

I suggest that you check with WD's Tech Support for further help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.