Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envey TE01-0150xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a drive coming to go in the M2 slot on this computers motherboard. Since it doesn't have a screw in the hold down post I need to know what size screw to get and if it's metric or standard. The motherboard is HP model 8653 (U3E1), version A (SMVB). I imagine it might be hard to find, you think it would ship with a screw in it so you don't have to go hunting.

Any day above the grass is a Great Day!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe you need a 2mm x 3mm machine screw.

Another forum member indicates you can get the screw for $.43 for a package of two at Home Depot.

I found this kit on Amazon.  More than you need, but you would have extras.

Amazon.com: M. 2 SSD mounting Screws Kit for Laptop and Nvme m.2 ssd (Screw fit Laptop): Industrial ...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe you need a 2mm x 3mm machine screw.

Another forum member indicates you can get the screw for $.43 for a package of two at Home Depot.

I found this kit on Amazon.  More than you need, but you would have extras.

Amazon.com: M. 2 SSD mounting Screws Kit for Laptop and Nvme m.2 ssd (Screw fit Laptop): Industrial ...

HP Recommended

The drive will be here Thursday  and if I order those from Amazon I'll get them Wednesday so that is what I'll do. Thank You for your response. If they work I'll add a response.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

HP Recommended

I got that screw set from Amazon and they were to small. I went to Lowe's and got these instead, metric M3-.50x8and they worked.

HP Recommended

Sorry that the kit from Amazon wasn't the right one.

Glad you found the right size screw.

HP Recommended

One more question, How do I boot from the new drive that just cloned successfully in this computer. It's listed in disk management but i see no where in the bios where I can change to it.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm not sure how you do that when you have two drives installed and both of them have operating systems on them.

Normally when a PC comes configured from HP with a M.2 SSD and a SATA hard drive, there is nothing on the SATA hard drive, and it is used for storage.

When you have an OS on the hard drive, for some reason, the Windows boot manager always boots from the SATA hard drive first and I don't know of a way to prevent that from happening.

So, the first thing I recommend you try is to temporarily disconnect the power from the hard drive and see if the PC automatically boots from the M.2 SSD like it should.

Then connect the hard drive back up, and format it to remove all data.

Hopefully, Windows will continue to boot from the M.2 SSD and you can use the hard drive for extra storage.

HP Recommended

What I did was disconnected the Sata drive and rebooted the computer and it booted to ssd drive. I shut down and rebooted 5 times and it always booted to the ssd.  I want to use the other drive for storage. I guess you right click and do a format of that drive, should I leave it at NTFS or Fat32?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you can format the drive that way.

You would want to format it NTFS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.