Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-153w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a Toshiba 16TB Enterprise SATA HDD and a Samsung EVO SSD. The SSD was cloned from the original hard drive and installed with no issues. The Toshiba drive was fully formatted and then checked after installation with no errors, but now it will only appear after a soft reboot. That is, if starting the computer after being powered down, the HDD is not recognized, but if the computer is restarted the drive appears normally.

I tried to update the BIOS as I was still using the original that came with the system (version A0.09), but between the website being unable to update the BIOS through Windows, files showing up as incompatible with my computer, or the installation giving a "BIOS image file specified did not pass validation" error, those attempts all failed. Changing the BIOS POST delay from 0 to 5 or 10 or 20 seconds also did not change the result. I checked Toshiba's website and they did not have a specific driver available, stating that the Windows driver was all that was needed. I checked in Windows, and trying to update the HDD driver confirmed that the current driver is correct.

I have tried to correct this through BIOS changes, Windows, and even swapping the cables between the two drives, and none of those have fixed this issue. If anyone could offer a different solution, I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As I stated in my last post, none of the six BIOS updates listed for my system would work. Also, when checking the information for each update they are all described as being for Windows 10, so I don't know why two of them are noted as being for Windows 7. As far as the firmware chipset update is concerned, from what information I could find that update concerns network security and did not have anything to do with the hard drive or storage systems.

The solution that finally worked was to buy a separate SATA card to control that hard drive. (Specifically the Corn Electronics 2 Port SATA III PCI-Express x1 Converter Adapter Card.) After installing the card and plugging the data cable into that instead of the motherboard, the hard drive is recognized immediately upon boot every time now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JasonAllen -- I recently bought a Toshiba 16TB Enterprise SATA HDD ... The Toshiba drive was fully formatted and then checked after installation with no errors, but now it will only appear after a soft reboot. 

If the original manufacturer's warranty is still valid, I would exercise the warranty, to get it replaced.

Download/install/run the free version of the SPECCY software, and drill-down on the "Storage" branch, and inspect the S.M.A.R.T. values for the Toshiba device, to see if you get any "yellow" or "red" markers.

Restart your HP computer, and access the built-in HP Hardware Diagnostics tools. Run the "Short DST" (less than one minute of a Disk-drive Status Test). If it "fails", the disk-drive is failing, and must be replaced. If it  "passes", run the Long (a few hours) DST, to see if it passes.

HP Recommended

I apologize for the delay in responding, but I had to wait to run the Long DST as it would take a full day given the size of the drive.

SPECCY test passed with all green/good results.
Short DST passed with no errors.
Long DST passed with no errors.

The current BIOS is A0.09 dated 1/13/2016. These are the six BIOS updates available for my specific computer and the results from trying to install:
A0.05 Rev.A (SP73356.exe) - This is older than the installed BIOS, so I did not attempt this
A0.11 Rev.A (SP74558.exe) - “This BIOS update is not compatible with this device”
A0.14 Rev.A (SP79255.exe) - “This BIOS update is not compatible with this device”
A0.17 Rev.A (SP87681.exe) - “BIOS Image file specified did not pass validation”
A0.20 Rev.A (SP85633.exe) - After extraction, this update wasn’t found by the updater
A0.20 Rev.A (SP96847.exe) - “This BIOS update is not compatible with this device”

All storage drivers available for download are older than the original BIOS.

In addition to the SSD which replaced the original OS hard drive, I had replaced the original DVD drive after it died, and both were recognized without issue. I am only having a problem with the second hard drive, and that is only that it is not recognized on an original boot but is found correctly after a reboot. Any suggestions for how to fix this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

@JasonAllen -- for your computer: HP Pavilion Desktop: 550-153w

at: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-550-100-desktop-pc-series/8499648/model...

I see:

For Windows 7: BIOS (2)

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B2C) A0.17 Rev.A 14.7 MB May 14, 2018
Download: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87501-88000/sp87681.exe

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B47) A0.20 Rev.A 15.2 MB Mar 4, 2018
Download: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85501-86000/sp85633.exe
==============

For Windows 10: BIOS (4)

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B35) A0.05 Rev.A 5.9 MB Oct 23, 2015 

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B29) A0.11 Rev.A 5.6 MB Jan 19, 2016 

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B52) A0.14 Rev.A 6.0 MB Mar 7, 2017 

Also: HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B4F) A0.20 Rev.A 6.7 MB Jun 3, 2019

==============

Also, I noticed:  Firmware-Chipset (1)
HP Consumer Desktop / Notebook PC ME Firmware Update 2020.2.1220 Rev.A 33.6 MB Jan 6, 2021 

Given the variety of SSID values, it seems that some updates are not applicable to your motherboard's SSID.

HP Recommended

As I stated in my last post, none of the six BIOS updates listed for my system would work. Also, when checking the information for each update they are all described as being for Windows 10, so I don't know why two of them are noted as being for Windows 7. As far as the firmware chipset update is concerned, from what information I could find that update concerns network security and did not have anything to do with the hard drive or storage systems.

The solution that finally worked was to buy a separate SATA card to control that hard drive. (Specifically the Corn Electronics 2 Port SATA III PCI-Express x1 Converter Adapter Card.) After installing the card and plugging the data cable into that instead of the motherboard, the hard drive is recognized immediately upon boot every time now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.