Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Short DST error - what this code means

HP Recommended
z620
Linux

Hi,

my disk came into read-only mode (in ubuntu linux), on HP Z620. I restarted and ran diagnostic test from UEFI-pendrive with appropriate software. SMART test passed but Sort DST test shoved following error code

0TX0HT-000A6R-X87R6J-60U703

PRODUCT ID: WM597EA#ARL

I've read that in majority of cases it means that disk is irreversibly corrupted, but I'd like to know what this code means.

I have weak feeling that something (hardware) is corrupting the disks mounted in the first bay. Is it possible, that bad SATA cable is causing such problems?

Best Wishes

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
133,903 124,078 20,472 31,437
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The error code reports for hard drives are generally useless.   

A good deal of the code is used to generate your PC's serial number.

99% of the time you get one of those codes you have to replace the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Here is a print of the code translation for your PC, minus the serial number...

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
0TX0HT-000A6R-X87R6J-60U703OKXXXXXXXXXX8/4/20303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The error code reports for hard drives are generally useless.   

A good deal of the code is used to generate your PC's serial number.

99% of the time you get one of those codes you have to replace the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Here is a print of the code translation for your PC, minus the serial number...

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
0TX0HT-000A6R-X87R6J-60U703OKXXXXXXXXXX8/4/20303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
Prométhée
Level 16
Level 16
5,629 5,562 612 2,341
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello
the hard drive is defective

Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure
It can continue to operate for a certain time, but it can definitively break down, if it is not already the case!
If possible, save personal data
Try a full reinstall
Be careful even if it works, it may permanently break down, save the data regularly.
This may allow you to use the computer while you find a hard drive!

You can try to help yourself with this tutorial (sorry not fully translated)

que faire en cas d' erreur / échec dst du disque dur - HP Support Community - 7338574

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z620-workstation/5225037/model/5225039

HP Z220 SFF, Z220 CMT, Z420, Z620, and Z820 Workstations Maintenance and Service Guide

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users:
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
floem7
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks,

I forgot to mention, that my grub boot loader shows following information "error attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0".

It is surely another indication, that disk is malfunctioning.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I believe you will be fine if you install a new, or known to be good drive.

0 Kudos
floem7
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As of the second part of my question, any hints if other hardware: mainboard, connecting cord, ... could corrupt disk?

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Highly unlikely.

It is not a matter of if a hard drive will fail, it's a matter of when.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation