Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming TG01-0067na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, got my son a basic gaming pc over Christmas. Got him an m.2 drive to run windows off and improve speed so he can use the 1TB for storage and games. I’ve installed the m.2 but when I go into bios it doesn’t give me the option to boot from it? (I’ve cloned the drive so the m.2 has all the windows files on) windows recognises the drive fine. Is there something I am doing wrong in bios settings? Frustrated as I can’t even take it to a shop now with being in lockdown. Hope you guys can help. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to temporarily disconnect the 1 TB hard drive and see if Windows boots from the SSD.

I would remove the SATA power input to the drive for this purpose.

When you have an OS installed on the SATA drive, the PC is always going to want to boot from the SATA drive.

So the first thing to do is to make sure that with the SATA drive disconnected, the PC automatically boots from the M.2 SSD.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul. I’ve tried that but it fails to boot. In the bios, the boot manager doesn’t recognise it even though windows does. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

What I suggest you try next would be to clean install W10 on the SSD.

Make bootable installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

See if that works, and if it does, you can install the drivers and available software from the PC's support page.

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-0000i Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.