Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP-14-ck0039LA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
After a windows update, the Notebook does not start windows. Send the message of "The system Bios recovery faied. Unable to open Bios image file". It does not allow the ESC, F2, F8, F10, F12 key functions. It does not allow me to start "HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY". On the website, no Bios updates appear for the HP-14-ck0039LA. How can I do to recover Bios? Do you know any way to perform this recovery without having to reinstall the operating system? I will be attentive for any suggestion. Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Good afternoon. I have been able to solve my problem. I did the following: - Remove the bottom cover of the laptop. - Disconnect the battery and hard drive. - Connect the Bios USB boot. - Press WIN + B at the same time and then Power for 1 or 2 seconds. - The led turned on once and turned off, and then another turned on again. Seconds later, the screen turned on and the Bios Update "The system BIOS is being recovered. The recovery will take several minutes to complete" was displayed. "Writing new Bios image" and the progress bar. - Then the message "The system Bios recovery is complete" was displayed. - The PC was restarted and as the battery and hard drive were disconnected, a message "Boot Device not Found" was displayed. - Connect the Hard Drive and then the battery. - Close the bottom cover. - Press the power button, and load the Bios and then the operating system correctly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi
PLEASE POST ANY RESULTS.
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

Hopefully one of these documents will cover (and solve) your problem...
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730

HP Recommended
Hi.
I did the test that I recommend.
1. The laptop does not have any peripherals connected.
2. I press the power button for 15 seconds, it turns the power led on and off, after 15 seconds it turns the led back on and off.
3. Then I connect the AC adapter, and press the power button, and press ESC several times, but when you turn on the ESC monitor, restart the PC and the F2 features do not appear.

I made a USB boot with the Bios sp103851.exe which no longer appears on the Website.

1. I turn off the laptop, press the WIN + B keys and then the power button for 1-2 seconds. and the Bios does not reset, the message "The system BIOS recovery failed. Unable to open BIOS SIGNATURE file" appears. as shown below.

2. I made a USB Boot with "HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY", I press the WIN + B keys and then the power button for 1-2 seconds, I press the ESC key and nothing is displayed, and F2 and it doesn't show anything either. The message "The system BIOS recovery failed. Unable to open IMAGE file" appears.

I have not been able to recover the Bios, the serious thing is that in the updates from May 8 to 18, I have had more than 5 laptops with this same case. 2 Bios could be recovered with USB boot sp10851.
HP Recommended
Good afternoon. I have been able to solve my problem. I did the following: - Remove the bottom cover of the laptop. - Disconnect the battery and hard drive. - Connect the Bios USB boot. - Press WIN + B at the same time and then Power for 1 or 2 seconds. - The led turned on once and turned off, and then another turned on again. Seconds later, the screen turned on and the Bios Update "The system BIOS is being recovered. The recovery will take several minutes to complete" was displayed. "Writing new Bios image" and the progress bar. - Then the message "The system Bios recovery is complete" was displayed. - The PC was restarted and as the battery and hard drive were disconnected, a message "Boot Device not Found" was displayed. - Connect the Hard Drive and then the battery. - Close the bottom cover. - Press the power button, and load the Bios and then the operating system correctly.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.