Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Im getting a thermal shutdown error message upon computer startup. It happens a few times a week.  I will shut down pc normally than when i go to use it next occasionally ill get the following message:  

http://tinypic.com/r/2qi61k8/9

A Thermal Shutdown Occured.

The computer shutdown previously to avoid overheating. Overheating can occure if the vents are blocked or if the operating tempurature exceeds the system specifications.  The system should return to normal operation once the issue is resolved.

System Temperature (90D)

Enter - Continue startup

That message occures after normal shutdown, never appears while opperating the pc.  Hitting enter to continue normal startup does not work, i have to turn it off then back on for it to boot and run normally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

We have about the same computer...I only have the video card extra...

I also have cooling problems with it...as the case is too small...and the cooler doesnt seem to be enough...I am sure it needs a better cooler...

Maybe your Bios upgrade will fix the Thermal Shutdown Message....but it wont fix the high temps of the CPU under load...Coffee-Lake runs HOT!

Also try to tighten the screws to the CPU Cooler...that was the advice i received from others...so I guess you should check that too

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Please write us the complete model number...I have the same 590 series like you...

Well I think you are experiencing the same overheating issues like me....the only difference is that yours happened at boot time...thats why it displays the message when you start the computer!

Use compressed canned air to clean the coolers, make sure both coolers still work...and that your BIOS has the latest version...

Other than that...if the issues is not fixed you need to take it to a service to change that faulty cooler.

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

Sorry i did not realize i had not put the full model number.  Its a 590-p0070.  I did update the bios today and ill check the coolers and use air on them. Thanks for the response.

HP Recommended

We have about the same computer...I only have the video card extra...

I also have cooling problems with it...as the case is too small...and the cooler doesnt seem to be enough...I am sure it needs a better cooler...

Maybe your Bios upgrade will fix the Thermal Shutdown Message....but it wont fix the high temps of the CPU under load...Coffee-Lake runs HOT!

Also try to tighten the screws to the CPU Cooler...that was the advice i received from others...so I guess you should check that too

Mike
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, with HP Desktop  pavilion  590-p0xxx, it is really frustrating and I do not know what to do anymore.

Did you try this solution? Is it work for you? it seems that the option does not exist within the Computer BIOS:(

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/docs/iss/proliant_uefi/UEFI_TM_030617/s_set_thermal_shutdown.html

Thank you,

HP Recommended

What ultimatly worked for me was updating my bios.  I did that and have not seen this issue pop up anymore.  So check for a bios update.

HP Recommended

Hi Tanya, 

I will apply tonight, will let you know if the issue solved, Your help appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi Tanya, As you suggested, I have updated the computer Bios software, run it directly from windows OS by downloading it from the HP support product, I'm following few days on that and the issue does not exist anymore, thank you of your help, really appreciated, you are a true Engel.

HP Recommended

ANGEL!

HP Recommended

I have a very similar if not identical issue.  I have Speccy running and the systems never goes above 40-45C.  Mostly it's at 35C.  I'm not sure what temp triggers the thermal shutdown, but these chips should be able to operate at 80C or maybe higher.

I've contacted HP a 1/2 dozen times and they have been mostly useless.  I asked them about updating BIOS and they told me "we don't recommend updating BIOS on a desktop because it might corrupt your Windows OS".  They had me reset BIOS to factory settings, but the problem happening again after 3 weeks.

I'll walk away not even using the computer, come back in 5 minutes and it had thermal shutdown.  It would seem this is an issue with their BIOS or hardware.

BTW my model is 590-p0066 i5 8400

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.