Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
550-110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok to lay tower on side so optical drive opens horizontally facing up? I know in the old days when harddrives used stepper motors, tower orientation was critical. I believe modern drives can operate in any position but would feel better getting advice from experts. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Artbuc195252 wrote:

Thanks. I did the set-up for my SIL and that is where the unit is now. IIRC, if I put the right side down (right as you are looking at the front), the optical drive will open downward. I will lay it on the left side and create a space for airflow as you suggest although I do not recall seeing air vents on the side. In any event, the main point is that the internal hardware will not be compromised, right?

Yes. That is the main point.

I suggested the right hand side because that is usually the side that the motherboard is mounted on.The internal hardware will not be compromised.

Everything is tywrapped or otherwise secured by screws or clamps.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You can do that if you like.

I would lay it on its right hand side and place small blocks of rubberized material or plastic in all for corner in order to allow airflow through the vents in the case.

If you do not support the case above the surface it is lying on, you will block the airflow to the interior of the desktop PC. That would not be a great plan.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks. I did the set-up for my SIL and that is where the unit is now. IIRC, if I put the right side down (right as you are looking at the front), the optical drive will open downward. I will lay it on the left side and create a space for airflow as you suggest although I do not recall seeing air vents on the side. In any event, the main point is that the internal hardware will not be compromised, right?

HP Recommended

@Artbuc195252 wrote:

Yes. That is the main point.

I suggested the right hand side because that is usually the side that the motherboard is mounted on.The internal hardware will not be compromised.

Everything is tywrapped or otherwise secured by screws or clamps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.