Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq DC7600 SFF
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello all, 

Recently bought a new CPU for my Compaq DC7600 small form factor, a Pentium 4 HT 661. This had different stepping than the CPU I upgraded from so I am prompted to update the microcode at startup. I went to HP's support page, downloaded the microcode patch, etc. Moved all the files to a flash drive. I go to the boot menu as soon as powering it on, I get the error, I hit the "F1-boot" key, then select the USB drive from the boot menu, but it just goes straight back into Windows XP. If I remove the OS drive for the purpose of the update and put it back in later will that solve my issue? This PC is needed for syncing with company Windows CE machines so it is rather urgent.

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

No, because you have to be able to boot from a USB flash drive.

That is the only way to update the microcode.

If you use the HP USB format tool to make the USB drive bootable, that should allow the PC to boot from the flash drive.

I updated the microcode in my dc7600 using the instructions I posted in that discussion many years ago.

I gave the PC away.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

See this discussion, for how to update the microcode...

Solved: how to resolve Microcode error after installing a Pentium D ... - HP Support Community - 808...

I would have installed a Pentium D 945 which is a better processor and will run cooler.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply,

If I burn the files to a CD will it work the same? Reason being that the CD drive is the only thing available in that device to flash from menu. Also, the Pentium D you mentioned was more expensive and lower single thread performance than the HT I bought. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

No, because you have to be able to boot from a USB flash drive.

That is the only way to update the microcode.

If you use the HP USB format tool to make the USB drive bootable, that should allow the PC to boot from the flash drive.

I updated the microcode in my dc7600 using the instructions I posted in that discussion many years ago.

I gave the PC away.

HP Recommended

Thank you, it seems to be updating successfully now with the zip you provided. The USB drive was either corrupted or I downloaded the wrong file, since after a format and using that .zip it became available in the flash list, says the rom flash was successful, and boots without the error now. 

HP Recommended

That's great news.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.