Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-046 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to install extra memory and it is not being recognized by the computer. I can get to bios by pressing F10 but this is some sort of "lite" bios because it has very few settings and does not have any setting for memory or memory auto-detect.
Is there a way to access the full bios?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello
if it is not recognized it is probably not compatible
What exactly did you buy?
Have you added more memory or replaced everything?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I got the exact same type of memory same speed same megabyte they're all 4 gigabyte. When I put one of them in it says I have 12 gig in task manager but below the memory window it says that I have only access to around 4GB if I put the other 

4 GB in it will not boot. I've tried both the new memory and both of them will work in the computer but not at the same time with the old memory

HP Recommended

Ok, I don't understand everything ..
Is your computer this one?

HP Pavilion 500-046 Desktop PC Product Specifications

• Amount: 8 GB
  • Speed: PC3-12800 MB/sec
  • Type: DDR3-1600

it is indicated as original, is it one or two modules?

and so, what exactly did you add buy ?

If I understood correctly, two new modules work, normally ..
So you have an incompatibility problem between the new and the old one, there is nothing to do, in general except to replace everything.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I bought 2 4GB DDR3-PC3-12800 DIMM/1600MHZ

Which is exactly what I had in the machine

HP Recommended

So read my answer again!
If the computer works with the original module (s) (I still don't know if you have an 8 or two 4gb module)
but that it does not work with the new ones ..
Let the new ones work if they are without the original module: your modules are most certainly incompatible with each other!

So either you buy exactly the same on top of that!
Either you have to find exactly the same as the original, that is to say the HP modules, somehow more expensive
I don't know what to answer you more

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Maybe you need to read my reply.... I said they are all 4 GB

HP Recommended

Sorry, I understood you were only talking about the new modules.
But whatever, I answered your question, there is no way to change that with the bios!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.