Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
DC5800MT
Linux

I seen there was a bios update for the DC5800MT, so I went and downloaded it. The file is a .exe windows file. I have 3 of these towers in my house, and they all run linux. I know there was a way in the past to burn a cd, and use it to update the bios without windows. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm not installing windows just to update my bios. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is very easy to flash the BIOS in your PC without concern for what operating system you are running.

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it in the FAT32 file system.

I have zipped up and attached the dc5800 BIOS DOS files from the latest BIOS available, below.  v01.60 Rev.A (27 Nov 2015)

Download and unzip the file to its folder.

Then copy just the file contents of the folder to your USB flash drive.

Plug in the flash drive and restart the PC.

At the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the F10 key to get access to the BIOS.

Select the File menu and then select the Flash System ROM menu.

Select the USB flash drive, and PC should see the file contents of the USB flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

See page 3 at the link below for the location of this command.

Flash System ROM Allows you to update the system ROM with a BIOS image file located on a USB flash media device or CD-ROM.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3658081&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Some of the older versions of the BIOS update for the BIOS family  (786F2 BIOS) your desktop has, include a method to create a BIOS CD contained within the sopftpaq.

I extracted one and the following image even shows the instructions that explain how to do it. Note the BIOS ROM image file that is also present.

I used z-Zip to extract the softpaq.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Yes exactly. I don't have any *.iso files in the extracted folder though. I only see *.bin file.
HP Recommended

If it isn't there, it isn't there. 

You are gong to have to check the older versions and use one of them. Check the Windows XP BIOS downloads.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3658084&swItemId=vc_157376_1&swEnvOid=109...

The following version  (1.59) , from 2011, is about the most recent update  available with the utility and BIOS ISO image file included.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=vc_97162_1#tab5

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

It is very easy to flash the BIOS in your PC without concern for what operating system you are running.

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it in the FAT32 file system.

I have zipped up and attached the dc5800 BIOS DOS files from the latest BIOS available, below.  v01.60 Rev.A (27 Nov 2015)

Download and unzip the file to its folder.

Then copy just the file contents of the folder to your USB flash drive.

Plug in the flash drive and restart the PC.

At the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the F10 key to get access to the BIOS.

Select the File menu and then select the Flash System ROM menu.

Select the USB flash drive, and PC should see the file contents of the USB flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

See page 3 at the link below for the location of this command.

Flash System ROM Allows you to update the system ROM with a BIOS image file located on a USB flash media device or CD-ROM.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3658081&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01...

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul. I have tried that and I get the error "Removable media is bad or missing".  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The only suggestions I can offer would be to try a different flash drive, or burn those files to a CD and select the CD drive.

You can also try formatting the flash drive in plain FAT.

I use the Flash system ROM method all of the time to flash my HP dcxxxx PC's BIOS, and never had an issue.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Paul. I had to use a different flash drive then it worked perfect.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Your DOS Flash.zip file from Message 5 seems to have fixed my kernel panic with Linux 4.14.x     I tried copying the files to a DOS-format  CD first, but got a Bad Media failure.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1520265

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.