Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
USB Pavilion 300
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I've recently bought a USB Pavilion 300 keyboard, and I use it on a mid-2017 MacBook Pro with macOs 10.15.5, but after only a week from the purchase I started having an issue with the numeric keypad.
When I start my computer, and for a few hours everything works perfectly, then, if I press any number on the numeric keypad I get the digit repeated two or more times, making impossibile to work with any application or simply to write numbers correctly. If I unplug the the keyboard and plug it back in the issue seems to be fixed, for a while, but I get the same problem again. I also tried, with no luck, to tweak with keyboard delay and repeat settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After a few days of tests on a different Apple computer (with macOS 10.13.6 installed) and on a PC (with Windows 10 installed) I think I can be positive that the issue is caused by an incompatibility between the keyboard and macOS environment, in fact every time the keyboard was plugged into an Apple, once in a while the numeric keypad suddenly started to work improperly. Another evidence might be the fact that I couldn't use the Alt Gr key in any way, preventing me from typing all the related special characters. Differently, after many hours of use in Windows environment the keyboard kept working perfectly during all the time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

That might be a type of key chattering. It could be caused by sticky domes under the keycaps. Try cleaning the undersides of the keycaps and see if it helps.

HP Recommended

Hi

thanks for the quick reply, but I don't think what you described could explain that everything gets back to normal once I unplug and plug the keyboard back in. I don't believe it is an hardware problem but more likely a software one.
I mostly work with Adobe Photoshop and I use a Wacom Intuos Pro M tablet, and since its touch ring is set in order to reproduce the pressing of some keys I suspect that the latter might trigger something unwanted on the keyboard.

HP Recommended

After a few days of tests on a different Apple computer (with macOS 10.13.6 installed) and on a PC (with Windows 10 installed) I think I can be positive that the issue is caused by an incompatibility between the keyboard and macOS environment, in fact every time the keyboard was plugged into an Apple, once in a while the numeric keypad suddenly started to work improperly. Another evidence might be the fact that I couldn't use the Alt Gr key in any way, preventing me from typing all the related special characters. Differently, after many hours of use in Windows environment the keyboard kept working perfectly during all the time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.