Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows Vista

Is there any affordable way to upgrade Mother board MCP61PM-HM (Iris8) and HHD to this very old system. Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 4800+ (up to 65 Watt TDP)
Athlon 64 up to 3800+
Sempron - All

Hard drive is Size: 500 GB
Interface: SATA
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM

I pulled it out of box after years of beinf idle after learning that Vista will no longer be supported by Microsoft.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CGBow3,

Interesting question, so I'll give you my opinion on each item.

Processor update to the AMD ADO4800DDBOX Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ 2.5GHz 1MB Cache Processor. Used chips can be less than $30, New about $100.

Hard drive replacement.  Get a newer AF (Advanced Format) drive, either 500GB or 1T. ($50 or $60).    Don't go bigger.  I like Seagate, but WD is a second choice.  Both offer free version of cloning software.

OK, now about the OS.  Win 7 is still in service until Apr 2020. You might be able to find the "upgrade" DVD. Be sure it states "Upgrade" in the top left corner of the packaging. Also you need the 32bit version, as your original was 32 bit.  The upgrade version does an overlay into the OS. It does not destroy the files.     $60-$90   

Some drivers will need to be researched. 

WARNING:  make the OS change to WIN 7 before you change the hard drive. 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CGBow3,

Interesting question, so I'll give you my opinion on each item.

Processor update to the AMD ADO4800DDBOX Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ 2.5GHz 1MB Cache Processor. Used chips can be less than $30, New about $100.

Hard drive replacement.  Get a newer AF (Advanced Format) drive, either 500GB or 1T. ($50 or $60).    Don't go bigger.  I like Seagate, but WD is a second choice.  Both offer free version of cloning software.

OK, now about the OS.  Win 7 is still in service until Apr 2020. You might be able to find the "upgrade" DVD. Be sure it states "Upgrade" in the top left corner of the packaging. Also you need the 32bit version, as your original was 32 bit.  The upgrade version does an overlay into the OS. It does not destroy the files.     $60-$90   

Some drivers will need to be researched. 

WARNING:  make the OS change to WIN 7 before you change the hard drive. 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.