Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 750-124
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I want to get some advice on the best way to either replace or add a SSD on my HP 750-124. Currently it has a 2TB SATA HDD. I am not sure if I should leave it as a back and use one of the few options using the expansion slots available, which I would like to do but which expansion port would be best to use performance wise. Below is the expansion slots available and also a link to the product specs with more info. M.2 port is what I think would be but not certain and hoping someone with more knowledge can chime in. 

I copies and pasted this but you can use the link for more info on my Desktop.

• Manufacturer: Pegatron
  • Form factor: uATX - 24x24 cm (9.4x9.4 in)
  • Chipset: H110
  • Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3L
  • Processor socket: LGA 1151
  • Expansion Slots:
    • 1 PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0)
    • 1 PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)
    • One M.2 socket 1, key A

For more details, see Odense motherboard specifications

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04800122

Thank you for your help !!

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

motherboard m2 port is only for wifi card!
There are indeed pci express adapters available, but I cannot guarantee that this will work.
it seems to me to have already seen questions on this subject here, and that the ssd m2 did not start, or not recognized
A simple sata SSD, works very well, compared to a classic HDD, it's day and night

Up to you
thank you to close the subject by marking the answer, if it is appropriate

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

hi

m2  impossible

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. I do extra ports available but no extra power cable. I would think I could get one or just replace the SATA-HHD that is in there with a SATA-SSD and use the HHD as a external drive for back ups. I guess if I really wanted a SSD for a M.2 port a new motherboard would be needed, correct? I have changed out MB but always just a straight replacement . I will read the document you sent me and see if I can educate myself on what MB would work for what I want, mainly a M.2 port for a 970 EVO or similar. 

Thanks,

Steve

HP Recommended

motherboard m2 port is only for wifi card!
There are indeed pci express adapters available, but I cannot guarantee that this will work.
it seems to me to have already seen questions on this subject here, and that the ssd m2 did not start, or not recognized
A simple sata SSD, works very well, compared to a classic HDD, it's day and night

Up to you
thank you to close the subject by marking the answer, if it is appropriate

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. I was editing it when you replied back. My main other question was possibly getting a new motherboard. Not sure it would be worth the cost but just an idea. Probably the SATA-SSD would be the easiest and least expensive way to get some goon improvements in performance . I too have seen adapter's being used but the MB not able to boot from it so you can't put the OS on it and that's not what I want. 

Thanks again for your help !!!

Steve

HP Recommended

Hey Promethee, 

I just wanted to update you after I took your advice and went for the SATA SSD. I bought a Samsung 870 EVO 1 TB SSD, a Corsair 3.5" to 2.5 inch bracket and a SATA cable to USB to clone my HHD drive and hopefully use it if I can find a case to use as a external 2TB drive for backing up stuff. You were correct in saying night and day. So much better and a easy thing to do. Used Aomei Backupper Pro to clone the drive, swapped it out and and what a difference. 

Thanks again for your help !!!

HP Recommended

You're welcome ..
thank you to you for this rather rare feedback ...
Enjoy!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Stock HDDStock HDDSamsung 870 EVOSamsung 870 EVO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.