Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 705 G3 MT / 835B KBC Version 06.21 / P09 Ver. 02.37
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

is it possible to replace the included processor with a Ryzen 7 2700 (or higher)?
What is the maximum Ryzen CPU family I can run on this motherboard with 350B - chipset?

Thanks for your feedback.

Kind regards
Schanz

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

The B350 chipset will support a 2700. The B350 can also support Zen 2.

But you may need a HP BIOS update to do this. This is true if your motherboard was made before AMD released the 2700, this probably applies for your motherboard.

You have to check your PC's HP support site for a BIOS update which specifically includes support for newer Ryzen processors.

A HP BIOS update to support newer processors may not be possible.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

thanks for your quick reply. I have now installed BIOS version 02.37.

Is it possible to derive something from the AMD AGESA version number regarding the compatibility?

Here are the release notes for it:

Version: 02.37

- Fixes an issue where Secure Erase cannot be executed when Display Language is changed to non-English.
- Critical Security Update.

Version: 02.35 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Updates AMD Pinnacle Agesa code to 1.0.0.A.
- Enhancement to address security vulnerabilities CVE-2020-8672 and CVE-2020-12890.

Version: 02.32 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Fixes issue where system BIOS fails to be updated and reported "Failed to determine if new BIOS is available" without setting Proxy Server in F10 setup interface.

Version: 02.31 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: -Fixes issue where specific SanDisk USB drive is not listed in F9 Boot Menu. -Adds a feature to support Enhanced Secure Erase command for ATA drive in F10 setup interface.
-Updates AMD Pinnacle Ridge silicon reference code to 1.1.0.9.
-Updates AMD Stoney Ridge silicon reference code to 1.3.0.G.

Version: 02.27 Rev.A

Fixed in this release: - Fixed issue where keyboard drop-down menu still shows as English at Power-On Authentication page after changing the keyboard layout to non-English and selecting the standard user with the new password at the Power-On Authentication page.
- Fixed issue where legacy bootable option is not listed in F9 when powering on unit with "USB to RJ45 dongle" and "USB flash disk" attached
- Fixed issue where system hangs in POST when plug in the Apple USB-C HDMI/VGA Multiport Adapter. - Locks power button function during TPM firmware update process to avoid firmware corruption.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Pinnacle Ridge AGESA code would support a Ryzen 2700.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you again for your quick reply. That is great. 😀👍

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Some AMD AGESA updates require incremental updates to the latest version.

You should have no problems upgrading to a 65 watt Ryzen 2700 since you were able to install the latest BIOS update without any error messages.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you! Good news!

HP Recommended

I have now purchased and installed the AMD Ryzen 7 2700. However, as I now had to discover, the mounting screws of the fan (original AMD out of the box) have a different position on the heat sink and can not be screwed to the motherboard. Previously, the Ryzen 3 1200 PRO was installed.

I have now - only temporarily - attached the old heatsink to the new CPU and turned on the PC.

The PC starts, but no picture is displayed.

My question is therefore:

Do I have to reset the BIOS? If so, is there a way to do this via jumpers, since the battery could unfortunately - probably only with quite a bit of force - be removed and reinserted.

What heatsink would you order / use for such a CPU that is compatible with the existing original motherboard?

Thank you for your reply and support.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry to hear this.

The HP provided BIOS update should support the 2700, you purchased a 2700 and did not purchase a 2700x, correct? This BIOS update would reset the BIOS. You can remove the MB CR2032 battery and let the PC sit for about ten minutes to reset CMOS.

Check the new CPU for bent pins which can happen when installing a new processor.

HP modifies components. I can't explain why you can't mount the new AMD heatsink /fan. OEM's modify components which includes modified motherboard CPU socket heatsink/ fan mounting points. Doing this makes component upgrades harder to do.

Again, inspect the new CPU for bent pins, reinstall the old CPU to test the system board.

The problems you are having may point to HP motherboard modifications and does not suggest my recommendations were incorrect based on the information you provided.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.