Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion p6650z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need some help. I am the IT support for my 86 year old mom.  She's had this HP computer for some years. Recently, her old 4x3 monitor gave up the ghost so I ordered her a new 24" widescreen not thinking the onboard ATI Radeon HD4200 might not support 16x9 resolutions. Of course, it doesn't.  What graphics card would support Windows 10 and 16x9 resolutions that the minimal power supply in the p6650z would run. No fancy gaming (her gaming is limited to Solitaire and jigsaw puzzles).  Email, web browsing and some light embroidery software graphics.  Any suggestions? Mostly, she want to be able to view non-distorted pictures of her granddaughter.  

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

This is a tough one because HP is using unified graphics drivers on this product. I have dealt with this situation before. 

It was impossible to get any other graphics cards working in older HP PCs using unified graphics drivers.

Th Nvidia GeForce 315 (OEM) graphics card (Link to specs) was a upgrade option at purchase.

I have no idea if you will find this part for sale. You might have to check eBay or similar sites for a used card.

HP offers drivers for this part at this (Link). Look in Driver-Original at this link.

Regards

HP Recommended

Would disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS not allow a replacement Pci card to work?  That's the suggestion I've seen elsewhere for similar HP models although it didn't answer my question about what card to try(primarily because of the minimal power supply problem).

HP Recommended

Hi,

That is a possibility, try it.

Most PCs I have worked with in recent years auto disable onboard graphics when you install a discrete graphics card.

Installing a newer graphics card made in the last four years or so will not work in this PC. The new graphics cards require a UEFI BIOS.

Regards

HP Recommended

So, maybe 

AMD Radeon HD6450 1GB PCI-e?

Although i couldn't find a power consumption spec.  OTOH, it's 20 bucks so if i have to throw it in the yard and return the new monitor I'm not out much.

HP Recommended

Hi BB3101,

Twenty bucks isn't bad.

Try it, see what happens.

Regards

HP Recommended

Worked like a charm.  Hardest thing was getting the plate off the back.  Didn't even have to manually disable the onboard graphics and the 16x9 resolutions work. Thanks for the help and encouragement ,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.