Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion h8-1360t (upgrade or compatible NVIDIA GeForce GT 630)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello friend at HP SUPPORT,

I have an older HP Pavilion Desktop model no. h8-1360t, Windows 10 64 Bit Pro, BIOS Mode = UEFI, Intel Core CPU @3.4 GHz.  I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 graphics card inside.

I have never had an issue with my PC overall...performance has been reliable since 2012.

Recently, however, the fan on my GeForce GT 630 graphics card is running very LOUD....really LOUD! I opened my PC up and determined that all other fans run very quietly...no issues. I pinpointed the GeForce GT 630 graphics card fan. I do not do any gaming on this PC at all but many years ago I did some modest video work...never had any issues.  I am not having display issues, video play issues, internet issues of any kind.  Music plays great, I can watch YouTube videos...no issues.

My QUESTIONS:

1.) Is there a way to trouble shoot this issue...my PC is well ventilated...I just cleaned out the dust on all fans...it does not run hot...just loud on GeForce GT 630 graphics card fan.

2.) Do you think updating the drivers on it would help this issue?  I would rather replace it than attempt drivers and potentially cause another problem.  I contacted NIVIDIA and they do not make or support the GeForce GT 630 graphics card any longer.

3.) Is it time to replace the graphics card and or just the fan that sits on top?

4.) If you recommend replacing it do you have an upgrade or compatible graphics card recommendation to replace my GeForce GT 630 graphics card?  Compatible with my HP Desktop (motherboard concerns?)

5.) What would be a suitable replacement that you would recommend to replace it with?  Same as 4...

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Regards,

KWH

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KH82 , welcome to the forum.

I want to make certain that you have UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS before recommending a video card.  It appears that you have checked since you state that the BIOS Mode = UEFI.  Otherwise, the only series of cards that would work would be the GTX 660/670's.

@KH82 wrote:

Recently, however, the fan on my GeForce GT 630 graphics card is running very LOUD....really LOUD! I opened my PC up and determined that all other fans run very quietly...no issues. I pinpointed the GeForce GT 630 graphics card fan. I do not do any gaming on this PC at all but many years ago I did some modest video work...never had any issues.  I am not having display issues, video play issues, internet issues of any kind.  Music plays great, I can watch YouTube videos...no issues.

My QUESTIONS:

1.) Is there a way to trouble shoot this issue...my PC is well ventilated...I just cleaned out the dust on all fans...it does not run hot...just loud on GeForce GT 630 graphics card fan.  It sounds to me like the bearings are failing.  Therefore, there is nothing that you can other than replace the fan or the video card.

2.) Do you think updating the drivers on it would help this issue?  I would rather replace it than attempt drivers and potentially cause another problem.  I contacted NIVIDIA and they do not make or support the GeForce GT 630 graphics card any longer.  No, the driver would not have anything to do with the fan being noise.

3.) Is it time to replace the graphics card and or just the fan that sits on top?  You could replace the fan that is up to you.  This would be less expensive than buying a new card.

4.) If you recommend replacing it do you have an upgrade or compatible graphics card recommendation to replace my GeForce GT 630 graphics card?  Compatible with my HP Desktop (motherboard concerns?)  I need to know the wattage of your power supply unit (PSU) before recommending a new card.  If it is only 300W this limits the kind of card that will work.

5.) What would be a suitable replacement that you would recommend to replace it with?  Same as 4...  Once I know if you want to replace the fan or replace the card and have the wattage of the PSU I will be glad to recommend a new card.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!  You are welcome!

Regards,

KWH

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hello friend!

Thanks very much for answering my questions about my hp h8-1360t and my NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 issue...greatly appreciated!

I've got some additional information for you in response based on what you asked for:

a.) I need to know the wattage of your power supply unit (PSU) before recommending a new card.  If it is only 300W this limits the kind of card that will work.  300W Max Power

b.) Here is some additional BIOS information:

- BIOS Version / Date = AMI 7.15 / 7/12/2012

- SMBIOS Version = 2.7

- BIOS MODE = UEFI

New Questions

1.)  I understand the 300W power supply will limit my options to replace the graphics card.  What would you suggest then to replace or upgrade?  Another NIVIDIA? Cost?

2.)  What if we replace the fan only?  That is the basic issue...everything else runs great (even with this PC being a dinosaur).  I noticed when I cleaned this fan it just sits on top of the graphics card and is screwed in from the bottom with a little white plug (and a black & red wire connection) into the top of the card.

3.)  If I go with replacing the fan is the same type of fan even still available that is new?  Costs? Where can I purchase?

4.)  If there is a newer type of fan compatible with my graphics card how will we know if the screws to attach it will match up with the holes in the card?

5.)  Would the new fan be attached in some other way?  

Thanks again for your help!

KH82

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @KH82!  Thank you for the additional information.

I am surprised that the information states the BIOS Mode is UEFI; especially since the BIOS is a version 7.  Normally, UEFI requires a version 8 BIOS.  The newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard to operate properly.  The last card series to not need UEFI were the GTX 660/670's.  Here is a BIOS update:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1300-desktop-pc-series...

I believe your concerns about finding a fan that would fit your current video card may be legitimate.  You could ask a local computer shop if they could help.  I believe they would tell you to replace the card, however.

Make certain that the motherboard has UEFI.  Here is a video card that will give you a boost in system performance:  https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-ti-gaming-x-4g/p/N82E16814137054?Description...

It will run with your 300W PSU.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.