Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L GT13-0155no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does non HP-branded RAM actually lock the bios/XMP-profiles so you don't get 3200 MHz now in 2021?
I've called the technical support, they told me to buy HP-branded but sounded very unsure about the memory lock thingy.

The part that makes me the most annoyed about all this is that it's not possible to buy HP-branded "HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 Mhz" from neither HP nor any other company that actually sells HP-branded products. I called them all, they don't have them. So I have to buy non-matching memory which would look really ugly.

It's quite a joke I must say. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@smellz , welcome to the Community.

@smellz wrote:

Does non HP-branded RAM actually lock the bios/XMP-profiles so you don't get 3200 MHz now in 2021?
I've called the technical support, they told me to buy HP-branded but sounded very unsure about the memory lock thingy.   No!  HP doesn't use XMP's.  They use the JEDEC speeds and timings.  This is the reason that HyperX Fury memory works because HP owns the brand.

The part that makes me the most annoyed about all this is that it's not possible to buy HP-branded "HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 Mhz" from neither HP nor any other company that actually sells HP-branded products. I called them all, they don't have them. So I have to buy non-matching memory which would look really ugly.  I can't speak to this part of your post.  I am not familiar with who does and doesn't sell HyperX Fury memory.

It's quite a joke I must say. 

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

For anyone who wonders - I upgraded my ram with non HP-branded. HyperX Fury RGB 16 GB 3200 MHz same as I have in the PC so now I have 4 sticks with 32 GB and XMP profile still says 3200 MHz so it seems to work here in Sweden atleast with no modification at all.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update, @smellz!

This is confirmation that HP does use the JEDEC's, since your new memory works.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.