Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
M01-F1024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! 

So I just purchased an HP desktop from BestBuy: M01-F1024. I was curious about upgrading the GPU and the PSU to accommodate any GPU upgrades that would need it. Any recommendations for the PSU parts as well as compatible GPU's? Are there any GPU's that are natively compatible with a 180 watt propriety power supply? 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-black/6429426.p?skuId=64294...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

M01-F1024

The HP 1M01-F1024 belongs to the MO1 series. Those comouter DO NOT use a standard ATX power supply.  The PSU used in those units is a uniquely designed unit. I am linking my spreadsheet which given examples of various proprietary HP PSU models and examples of various cards .

The requirement for CyberPunk states a GTX 780... A GTX 1060 might be better, but an older card.

The better card would be an RTX 2060 and an HP proprietary 400W PSU.

@bradleypariah,

You apparently never read my spreadsheet.  Also bad choices.  If this OP reads your comments and goes away, how does it feel that you guided the OP to spend seriously $400-600 on what will not work ! 🙄😏

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

In order to make a really solid recommendation, it would help to know what you plan on using the machine for.

Are you a gamer?  Just watching movies?  Do you edit video?

If you play games, which ones?

If you edit video, how many tracks at a time?

Do you use multiple monitors?  If so, how many?

HP Recommended

I would like to play Cyberpunk at the best settings possible for a system like this. No video editing, and I'm only using a single monitor. 

HP Recommended

Cyberpunk Recommended Requirements

• Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 4-Core 3.6GHz / AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 590 8GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
  • VRAM: 6GB
  • System Memory: 12 GB RAM
  • Storage: 70 GB Hard drive space

Your CPU is good.

If you've got the same specs as the page you linked, you've only got 8GB of RAM.  You need 4GB more.

Power consumption for those GPUs:

GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 120 Watts

Radeon RX 590 175 Watts

You should double-plus-half your power consumption for your GPU, in my opinion.

120 x 2 + 60 = 300 watts.

175 x 2 + 87.5 = 437.5 watts.

So, 450 should cut it no matter which card you get.

HP Recommended

Thank you, perfect response, any idea for which specific HP PSU may be compatible with my setup to provide an ample amount of wattage lets say around the 450-500 range? 

HP Recommended

Most power supplies are the same size, so there shouldn't be too much worry of it fitting in your case.

You could always measure your power supply with a ruler if you're concerned that a new potential one won't fit, but they're pretty universal.

Typically, only a few cables come from the power supply:

• One fat one goes to the motherboard
  • One small one goes to the motherboard right near the processor
  • A couple/few might go directly to fans
  • Several might go to the power port of SATA devices like SSDs, disk drives, and/or CD/DVD/Blue-Ray drives

What to look out for:

Unplug the fat power clip from your motherboard.  How many pins does it have?

Unplug the small cable from near your CPU.  How many pins does it have?

How many total SATA devices are plugged into the power supply?

When you buy a new power supply, ensure it has clips that are compatible with yours, and enough cables to hook everything up.  Personally, I like Corsair, but there are lots of good brands of power supplies.

HP Recommended

M01-F1024

The HP 1M01-F1024 belongs to the MO1 series. Those comouter DO NOT use a standard ATX power supply.  The PSU used in those units is a uniquely designed unit. I am linking my spreadsheet which given examples of various proprietary HP PSU models and examples of various cards .

The requirement for CyberPunk states a GTX 780... A GTX 1060 might be better, but an older card.

The better card would be an RTX 2060 and an HP proprietary 400W PSU.

@bradleypariah,

You apparently never read my spreadsheet.  Also bad choices.  If this OP reads your comments and goes away, how does it feel that you guided the OP to spend seriously $400-600 on what will not work ! 🙄😏

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

You might as well be the CEO of HP at this point, I don't think the manufacturer could've helped me this much. Thank you so much Sir, I've been blessed enough to be helped by Wb2001. Truly an honor. Thank you, legend. 

HP Recommended

@shohid96,

Thank you for the comment. 

The spreadsheet has been my project to clarify the unique PSU found in the listed computers.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Wb2001-

When I said "You could always measure your power supply with a ruler if you're concerned that a new potential one won't fit," that was to ensure I wasn't making a mistake. 

Your spreadsheet is very helpful, but no, I've never read it, because I've never heard of you before this message.

I'm glad you caught that.

FYI, I got the recommended specs for Cyberpunk from both GameDebate AND Tom's Hardware.

While a 780 outperforms the 1060 in a some facets, The 1060 actually has a faster pixel rate than a 780, and it uses less than half the wattage.  You can see that here:
http://www.hwcompare.com/31217/geforce-gtx-1060-vs-geforce-gtx-780/

You were actually looking at the "minimum" card, I was looking at the "recommended" card.  If OP wants to run at High settings, you want the RECOMMENDED card, NOT the MINIMUM card.

https://game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4614&game=Cyberpunk%202077

Since the developer of the game specifically recommends the 1060, I'd say I was giving pretty solid advice. 😉

OP is of course welcome to buy an even stronger card, but I made my suggestion explicitly based on that game's requirements.  With all due respect, you should have done more research before correcting me.

What if OP went out and bought a 780, thinking they were going to run Cyberpunk on Max settings??  Now who's wasting a stranger's money??

Also, of course an RTX2060 would be a better card than a gtx1060.  A Maserati would be a better car than a Ford Fiesta!  -but if someone's just looking for a good commuter car, you don't always go right for one of the most expensive products on the market.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.