Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended

That thought did cross my mind but not too worried. I have an 8x to 16x riser I used for another project that I can test with. Also I can just file out the back end of the slot if it is just 8x long. They marked it as shipped and told me they are arranging shipment. 

HP Recommended

Hi NonSequitur777 and others

I have been watching the current discussion and it's great that this SFF desktop is still inspiring people.  My upgrade question for this computer is about adding extra storage.  I made an attempt at this upgrade just after I bought the computer as a used PC.  My idea was to add a second hard drive via the mSATA socket (well actually I was considering a 2.5 inch SSD).  The idea was to have a power splitter on the SATA power socket and a mSATA to SATA adapter in the mSATA socket.  The problem was that there wasn't enough room to fit anything under the drive chassis.  I was rethinking this and was wondering if there was such a thing as an mSATA to mSATA cable to move the attachment point away from that narrow section or even maybe an mSATA to SATA cable.  I've since read a little about mSATA vs SATA and there could be some serious compatability issues such as voltage differences - I don't know enough.  Can anyone comment on if this plan can work, i.e. to be able to add a second SATA drive (actually a third SATA drive given I want to keep my optical drive) i.e a third SATA drive via the mSATA port.  Any comments about this would be appreciated.

All the best

Frank

HP Recommended

Hey Frank, I don’t know of a way to add a sata port from a msata slot. If it were a mcpie slot then there might be a card for that. However, since msata and mpcie share the same pin pattern, this extension would allow you to relocate the msata socket. 
The mPCIe Extender is a debug and Test Tool. Design The FFC (Flat Flexible Cable) Cable for Flexible use pcie Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SNV6KNL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_503M7PJDPHFMGV440WTT

HP Recommended

Hi Franush

You mentioned: "this SFF desktop" -just to be clear though, this message thread is dedicated to upgrading an HP Elite 8300 Ultra Slim Desktop (USDT), not the SFF version.

This out of the way, my best suggestions/opinion I can offer for this USDT desktop's storage configuration -that is: IF you are really serious about, well -serious Gaming AND have connected it to a high(er) end graphics card (utilizing the MXM 3.0 to PCIe X16 graphics interface) to make your Gaming worthwhile, is as follows:

1.) Install the best SSD with the most storage capability you can afford as your primary drive.  For example: a 2TB Samsung 870 QVO SATA III -or better still, a 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA III, or competitors equivalent.

2.) Remove your optical drive unit and replace with a quality secondary SSD (at least 1TB) by means of a SATA to SATA 2nd SSD caddy adapter.

3.) Install a 500GB+ mSATA SSD.

I wouldn't mess at all with any conversion cables/connectors etc. to increase storage.  Tried some of it, but found that the read/write access speeds sucks, pardon the expression.

Just my dime's worth.

HP Recommended

Received the x8 adapter in the mail today. It does indeed have a x16 slot. I’ll have to wait till Monday to try it out in the iMac. I’m assuming the 20pin connector is the same as the psu 20pin? 

HP Recommended

Outstanding!  -Please provide a picture if you don't mind.  Yes, the MXM 3.0 to PCIe X8/X16 dock's 24-pin power connector fits on any standard ATX 24-pin power supply.

HP Recommended

Come Monday I will post some pictures. 

HP Recommended

Started playing with it this morning with some promising results. I’ll need to reinstall macOS for it to fully boot as right now it was setup for the nvidia k1100m. It did boot into the windows 10 though. Not sure all the differences between the x16 and x8 but the x8 has a 20 pin connector instead of 24. The 24pin connector from the psu still fits and works as it should. My end game for the iMac is to fit my low profile rx560 powered by a pico psu inside the iMac along with the lcd driver board and have it all self contained. I’m the meantime though, I do want to play with the gtx 1060 6g I have in windows and see how it does for gaming. 

image.jpg

7FC915AB-B08D-4B56-AD25-7C1EEAB994C6.jpeg

HP Recommended

Thanks for the pictures -excellent news!

In my opinion, for me this is what this Forum is all about: the exchange and sharing of unconventional and novel computer Upgrades!

HP Recommended

And yes, the MXM 3.0 to X8 PCIe 20-pin ATX connection makes sense: X8 doesn't need the additional 4 pins.  As a matter of fact, all industry standard ATX power supply units (at least the brands I have) actually have their 24-pin main power connector configured as a "20+4"-pins connection, where a 4-pin section is optional.

Your Apple/Mac MXM-slot graphics card upgrade contributions are likely to help others with similar rigs! Please keep submitting your efforts and use the "Message Tags" to mention "Apple MXM" or whatever you think would be a helpful tag/tags for other users to find your Apple upgrade contents in this Forum.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.