Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

In my previous post, I mentioned preventing Microsoft from uninvitingly installing drivers.  Please note: Microsoft updating/installing automatic security patches and Windows updates is fine, but in many cases Windows-supplied equipment drivers suck [lack full equipment functionality] -to call a spade a spade.

Apparently, based on what I found out online, this is something that has been going on for a while, much to the dismay of numerous Windows OS customers, such as AMD Radeon graphics card users.  What Windows AMD drivers updates did for me was losing GPU performance fine tuning in Radeon's "Adrenaline" software and web linkage to AMD.

However, no worries, steps can be taken to reign in Microsoft's driver control updates.

1.)  In Windows 10 Pro: "Enable" the "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates" policy in the "Local Group Policy Editor". For step-by-step instructions, please see this  Link: Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

2.) Run Microsoft's now unavailable "Show or Hide Updates Tool". You won't find this program through Microsoft, but see this Link: Download wushowhide (majorgeeks.com)

After restarting Windows, this is what you should see under "Check for updates":

Windows Update Configuration.jpg

There you go.

HP Recommended

Dear Forum, as a matter of fact, doing very well upgrading this HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF.

Mind you, I was able to get everything powered with the original HP OEM under-powered 240 watts PSU:

1.) Intel i7-3770K

2.) Radeon RX 580 4GB

3.) RAM: Crucial 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 SDRAM PC3L 12

4) Samsung 870 QVO SATA III SSD 1TB

5.) INDMEM DMMS mSATA 512GB (using an mSATA to SATA 2.5" SSD enclosure)

6.) ADT PCIe X16 to PCIe X16 extension cable/dock (SATA cable powered)

My HP Pro 6300 SFF currently scored #11 globally on UserBenchMark dot com.

Various PC games perform very nicely at 1080p in ultra mode.

If I were to install a high-powered graphics card such as the RX 6600 XT 8GB, based on UserBenchMark's performance projection, this rig would outscore all currently submitted HP Pro 6300 SFF benchmarks. What is holding me back is HP's quaint proprietary PSU power connections. Will find a solution to hook up this PC to a 320-450 watt PSU.

UserBenchMark_211028_1.jpgUserBenchMark_211028_2.jpgUserBenchMark_211028_3.jpgPassMark CPU Rating i7-3770K_HP Pro 6300 SFF_211028.jpg

HP Recommended

Stable GPU overclocking.  Can be done relatively safely when using a trusted program such as MSI Afterburner or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. My initial GPU performance gains are modest but promising.

Here's a screenshot after running MSI Kombustor to test for graphics stability:

GPU Overclocking RX 580 4GB_211028.jpg

HP Recommended

Played three games so far on this PC with the slightly overclocked RX 580 4GB.

These games were played in FHD 1080P, all on the highest in-game graphics setting:

1.) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (163 FPS)

2.) Tetris Effect: Connected (95 FPS)

3.) Insurgency: Sandstorm (46 FPS)

Better than I expected, to be honest.

RX 580 4GB_Game Performance_211030.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks, I enjoyed looking.  I too have a rig I can pimp.  A genuine HP-6000 maxed out with core 2 quad (9650) and an RX-560.  Looks like HP used the exact case and probably same 240watt power supply.  

Pimp my HPPimp my HP

I just checked the prices of used RX-560 on eBay and used ones are selling for more than I paid when new.  Plus I still have the box it came in.  It is a shame that video cards go for more than the whole system is worth.   Miners caused the problem.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hi BeemerBiker -and a kudo was given, of course.  Nice picture -decent low profile GPUs are almost impossible to find these days. -Thanks for reminding me, I too would prefer to pick an avatar of my choice.

Anyway, yes, pricings for mid to high performance GPUs are obscene.

I was fortunate to get an RX 6600 XT 8GB via Newegg at ASRock's MSRP of $329.99, but only one.  I needed a second GPU for this PC and settled for the time being, on a RX 580 4GB for about the same price via Amazon.

HP Recommended

Dear Forum, I think I may have found a novel and easy DIY solution to add aka piggyback an additional external PSU to this PC -or any other HP desktop for that matter, without touching or trying to replace the original OEM HP power supply.  And speaking of attempts to replace original OEM HP PSUs specifically in HP SFF desktops, it is rather complicated -at least in my opinion.

How complicated? -Please see this (scroll down to the message posted on ‎06-08-2018 04:39 PM) HP Community Forum member's well-articulated post on the subject:   Solved: Hp Compaq Elite 8300 SFF psu + graphics upgrade - HP Support Community - 5743592

But I digress.

Back on topic: all you need to do is splicing the red and middle black SATA power wires (by using wire splice connectors, for example) to a 5-Volt RA5W-K relay and connecting the relay to the 16-pin (PS_ON#) and the 17-pin (Ground/GND or Com) of the ATX 24-pin PSU power supply connector -see illustration below.

What this is supposed to do is that when you power on your PC, the relay will simultaneously jumper/turn on the additional power supply, and will thus safely sync powering a high wattage external graphics card you connected to an external ATX power supply.

I ordered a RA5W-K relay, and I am going to try this solution. The original HP Pro 6300 SFF PSU has handled powering the RX 580 without any issues, but probably only because this graphics card is low powered.

Disclaimer: any alterations/modifications posted by me are not authorized, endorsed let alone approved by HP. Apply at your own risk, in other words.

24-pin Power Connection.jpg

HP Recommended

Another HP Pro 6300 SFF modification I decided to implement, is the addition of one or maybe dual 4020 (40x40x20mm) high performance cooling fan(s) -see illustration.  There is room inside the chassis for the 4020 fan(s), or the fan(s) can be mounted outside the chassis, as I did with my HP Elite 8300 USDT.

The picture of an HP Pro 6300 MT is meant to show that the MT has a standard rear fan.

Addition Rear Cooling Fan_Fans.jpg

HP Recommended

Dear Forum, ordered 4x8GB for a total of 32GB of the Patriot Viper 3 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866 MHz Desktop Memory RAM.  I haven't seen this particular RAM discounted this low for quite a while, and -I'll admit it: this RAM looks way cool.

This DDR3 brand scored very well according to Appuals dot com - Link: Best DDR3 RAMs to buy in 2021 - Appuals.com

Anyway, if this RAM proves to be incompatible, return to sender it will be, and will 'stick' with the 4x8GB Crucial 240-Pin DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz Desktop Memory RAM.

Patriot Viper 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz RAM.jpg

HP Recommended

Returning to adding one or two rear-mounted cooling fan(s), at some point the HP Pro 6300 SFF OEM stock 240 watt power supply unit will be tasked to deliver more power than it was designed to handle.  With this in mind, I ordered a used HP EliteDesk 600 800 G1 Tower OEM 320 watt PSU.  I believe its three power connectors are compatible with my 6300 SFF.  The idea is to provide sufficient wattage for all the PC components I have and/or plan to hook up, specifically a more powerful eGPU.

When this PSU arrives, I'll see if it is compatible, and if so, whether it will fit inside the 6300 SFF's case.  If it doesn't fit, it will be parked outside the chassis.

Found this PSU cheaply through Ebay -as many other community forum members before me have suggested to look for affordable computer components.

320W Power Supply_211112.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.