Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desktop 795-0137cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0137cb  Product # 5QA55AA
Current configuration:   16GB Optane with 2TB SATA

I would like to upgrade to an M.2 SSD.   
1)  What are my options for the M2 SSD?  Can I use the NVME type?  Or must I stick with SATA?   What is the maximum capacity that is supported?
2)  I know that I must disable the connection between the Optane memory and the SATA drive.   After that is completed and I install the new M2 SSD,  I was planning on performing a Clean installation of Windows via the Windows ISO on USB drive.   Is there any issues with the BIOS or anything else that will complicate the process?

thanks!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your PC can use a M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 NVME drive such as a Samsung 970. Capacity should be only limited to the dimensions of the drive. A 2280 drive is most common now.

You have to uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology in Control Panel, Programs and Features. (Link) to instructions.

Now you can remove the Optane drive. Install the M.2 SSD.

You can save some time by cloning the current operating system to the new M.2 SSD.

Instructions on cloning the existing HDD can be reviewed at this (Link) using the free Macrium Reflect disk imaging and cloning software.

The current OS is on the platter HDD.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your PC can use a M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 NVME drive such as a Samsung 970. Capacity should be only limited to the dimensions of the drive. A 2280 drive is most common now.

You have to uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology in Control Panel, Programs and Features. (Link) to instructions.

Now you can remove the Optane drive. Install the M.2 SSD.

You can save some time by cloning the current operating system to the new M.2 SSD.

Instructions on cloning the existing HDD can be reviewed at this (Link) using the free Macrium Reflect disk imaging and cloning software.

The current OS is on the platter HDD.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.   I ended up doing a Clean installation of Windows and it worked perfectly.

HP Recommended

Hi Stomplt,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.