Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-0000i (8BG56AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, i'm wondering if my 400w psu can handle a 8gb 4060 gpu, and what cpu should i pair with it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@grandsnail , welcome to the Community.

The RTX 4060 requires a PSU of at least 550W w/1x PCIe 8-pin cables (adapter in box) OR
300 W or greater PCIe Gen 5 cable.  Certain manufacturer models may use 1x PCIe 6-pin cable or 1x PCIe 8-pin cable.

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  However, the most powerful PSU that HP sells is only 500W.  This will not be enough to power the 4060.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain what to consider when adding or upgrading a video card.

Please click the "Yes" button if my reply was helpful and "Accept as Solution" if your problem is Solved!!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@grandsnail , welcome to the Community.

The RTX 4060 requires a PSU of at least 550W w/1x PCIe 8-pin cables (adapter in box) OR
300 W or greater PCIe Gen 5 cable.  Certain manufacturer models may use 1x PCIe 6-pin cable or 1x PCIe 8-pin cable.

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  However, the most powerful PSU that HP sells is only 500W.  This will not be enough to power the 4060.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain what to consider when adding or upgrading a video card.

Please click the "Yes" button if my reply was helpful and "Accept as Solution" if your problem is Solved!!

HP Recommended

would i be able to swap my motherboard to one thats compatible to the 4060 and a better psu, if so which type should i look for that can fit in my case and should i be looking for a atx or micro atx, thank you

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @grandsnail!

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain what to consider when moving your HP motherboard to another case.  I realize that you want to buy a new motherboard, but you would have the same concerns using the HP case with another manufacturer's motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.