Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix 800-030qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP Envy Phoenix 800-030qe desktop that came with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. I want to upgrade my video card to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti. The only thing is the GTX 660 is connected via a 6 pin and the GTX 1660 Ti is an 8 pin. Will the GTX 1660 Ti work with my motherboard? 

Will I need an adapter or can I use this 2 pin to make it 8 pin?
Blurred _MG_8247.JPG

SPECS

Motherboard Name
  • Manufacturer: MSI
  • Manufacturer name: MS-7826
  • HP name: Kaili
Chipset
  • Intel Z87
Memory
  • Memory slots: Four 240-pin DDR3 DIMMS
  • Maximum memory:
    • 32 GB (64-bit OS)
Power output wattage
  • 600 Watt
Processor
Core i7-4770 (Haswell) (84W) 3.4 GHz
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Wb2001 I measured the space. I think there is clearance.

I am looking at the 1 and 2 fan versions, because I need a DV-I/D connection for my tablet. But I can get an adapter if I need to.

MockedUp_MG_8249.jpg

I think there is space for 9" if I went with one of those 3 fan versions.

I don't want to cut the tie that is on the cables. But I looked at the 4 pin and the 6 pin and they have the same cabling.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hello
if I understand correctly, your power supply has a 6 pin connector, which was already in use.
And you have another 2 pin connector!
So yes, if this is the case, for your card to work since it is in 8 pin, you will have to connect the two
It seems to me that I have already done this type of manipulation for another model!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks Promethee. So the connector in the front of the picture, is that the 2 pin power connector?

HP Recommended

sorry i don't see what you are referring to
But it is easily identifiable normally

I saw otherwise, that there are adapters 6 to 8
But I wonder if this is okay ..

just for example

https://www.amazon.fr/Express-Motherboard-Graphics-Video-Y-splitter/dp/B0762H6K5C

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Blurred2 _MG_8247.JPGthe one the yellow arrows are pointing to.

The six pin is plugged into the existing card. I just want to make sure that two pin is part of the power to make it add up to 8 pin. Thanks

HP Recommended

@XheVoice,

That is not a 2 pin .  Here is a link to all power supply plugs.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

ok WB2001 it is a 4 pin then. So with the 6 pins in the video card, and that 4 pin, I should be able to connect a new 8 pin card then?

I am considering the Nvidia RTX 2060 now, since it is hard to find a GTX 1660 ti.

HP Recommended

@XheVoice,

Did you actually study the cabling?

Unplug the existing 6 pin, and follow it back to the sheathing (wrapper). If you find a 2 pin plug, that would be correct. The 6+2 create an 8 pin. Their molded to "mate" side by side, to become one plug. Have you measured the available space?  Most RTX 2060 cards are 9" or more.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Wb2001 I measured the space. I think there is clearance.

I am looking at the 1 and 2 fan versions, because I need a DV-I/D connection for my tablet. But I can get an adapter if I need to.

MockedUp_MG_8249.jpg

I think there is space for 9" if I went with one of those 3 fan versions.

I don't want to cut the tie that is on the cables. But I looked at the 4 pin and the 6 pin and they have the same cabling.

HP Recommended

@XheVoice,

If you are unwilling to look, so be it.  The 6 pin and 4 pin do not mate.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.