Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7900
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My friend has a dc7900 (convertible minitower) and I'm willing to give him the parts from my computer when I upgrade. My only fear is whether the case is compatible with my Micro-ATX motherboard. If that works, the rest of the upgrades will be compatible. 

My only concern is about the holes that are present in the case and whether they will line up with a micro-ATX board.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, so you're asking if the mounting holes in the other motherboard match the locations of the standoffs that are screwed into the side of your case.

Some of them will match, but it's likely, some of them will not.

The only real way to tell is to look at both motherboards and see where the holes are.

You can always move the standoffs in the case to match the mounting holes of the other motherboard.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TrufflnShuffln

I understand your concern, as I have switched motherboards in countless PCs and that is always a serious issue.

The removable metal insert plate is known as the I/O shield -- and it is unique to each make and model motherboard.

Fortunately (1) these shields tend to be much the same size, and (2) they are easily removed.

So, you can pop the shield out of your case and see if it fits into the other case -- before you go through all the hassle of swapping the motherboards.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

@WAWood

My question is less about the I/O (I have the I/0 from my motherboard) and more about the mounting holes inside the case.

HP Recommended

OK, so you're asking if the mounting holes in the other motherboard match the locations of the standoffs that are screwed into the side of your case.

Some of them will match, but it's likely, some of them will not.

The only real way to tell is to look at both motherboards and see where the holes are.

You can always move the standoffs in the case to match the mounting holes of the other motherboard.

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.