Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0201a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I want to upgrade my HP Pavilion 590-p0201a and wanted to perform the following upgrades:

1. AMD Graphics card. I haven't decided what make or model however I need one that fits my case.

2. Sound card. A friend of mine has a spare sound card he can provide me. The main thing I was after was SPDIF out as I have a 5.1 surround system that takes this output

3. HDD. I wanted to upgrade the magnetic hard disk drive to a higher capacity, for example 8TB

4. SSD. I read in the product documentation the motherboard supports an M2 SSD behind where the hard drive bay is. The other M2 slot is used for the wifi card. It does not specify in the product documentation if the M2 SSD slot supports NVMe or whether it's a SATA slot and I want to purchase the correct SSD.

Also for a graphics card (and a sound card if it requires it) I may need to upgrade my PSU. Where can I find a PSU that will fit the chasis of my computer so I can power a graphics card and sound card as well? What AMD graphics cards will fit/won't fit the chasis? Is the M2 SSD slot SATA or NVMe compatible?

Kind Regards,

David C Johnson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dave245 Let me try and answer all those queries just as you've asked them:

1. If you are upgrading the GPU, ensure you check with the power supply requirements as it may need an upgrade as well and yes, the size does matter as that's a uATX form factor.
  2. Is this a question? If yes, you should have no trouble upgrading the sound card.
  3. There's no information available on the HP User guides about whether or not it supports a 8TB HDD, so it's best you check with a local tech before investing on something that big.
  4. I would suggest the same as #3 for the SSD upgrade as well, considering this is all the information I can get my hands on:
    1. One M.2 socket 1, key A

2. One M.2 socket 3, key M

Here's a disclaimer you need to know for upgrades:

I must let you know that HP does not recommend upgrades or hardware changes as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance by design, that said, the upgradeable parts listed by HP articles & above are purely for your ease, as the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion.

Which is why I recommend you check with the local tech before investing on any of this, to be on a safer side.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Dave245 Let me try and answer all those queries just as you've asked them:

1. If you are upgrading the GPU, ensure you check with the power supply requirements as it may need an upgrade as well and yes, the size does matter as that's a uATX form factor.
  2. Is this a question? If yes, you should have no trouble upgrading the sound card.
  3. There's no information available on the HP User guides about whether or not it supports a 8TB HDD, so it's best you check with a local tech before investing on something that big.
  4. I would suggest the same as #3 for the SSD upgrade as well, considering this is all the information I can get my hands on:
    1. One M.2 socket 1, key A

2. One M.2 socket 3, key M

Here's a disclaimer you need to know for upgrades:

I must let you know that HP does not recommend upgrades or hardware changes as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance by design, that said, the upgradeable parts listed by HP articles & above are purely for your ease, as the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion.

Which is why I recommend you check with the local tech before investing on any of this, to be on a safer side.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. I had no problems upgrading the sound card and installing an 8TB hard drive and installing a 1TB M2 NVMe SSD; that worked beautifully. I have encountered an issue installing the graphics card though, where I need a new power supply with a higher wattage and an 8-pin connector for the graphics card. I have created a new post for it here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-supply-upgrade-for-HP-Pav...

HP Recommended

@Dave245 As explained earlier, we do not support or recommend upgrade, however you are free to do so at your discussion, for best results I personally suggest you check with a local tech before investing on a new Power supply among other things, just to be on a safer side.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.